"Ravenna, City of Mosaics" Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna by Bunsch
Ravenna Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 1,126 photos
When I first heard "Ravenna" I thought about music, dance, opera...not mosaics. Things changed once I actually arrived, and began to experience the incredible flourishing of that particular art form (especially from roughly the sixth century). Ravenna was the capital of the western Roman Empire from the fifth through the eighth centuries. From that period remain a number of important early Christian and Byzantine buildings. Ravenna is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
Many of the places you'll want to visit in Ravenna are found in the historic core, only a few minutes apart from each other. This means it is a good place for the mobility-challenged (except that a number of the major sites have subsided, some by many feet, so that it is helpful to be able to get up and down a few stairs). Also, this central area allows very limited access to automobiles, so it is quite safe to wander...just be careful of the many bikes!
It certainly seemed like I was following Dante around, starting in Florence and eventually getting to Ravenna, where the poet died in exile on September 14, 1321. As one wag pointed out, his tomb is a substantially nicer place than the circles of hell to which he consigned a number of his fellow Florentines!
- Pros:Mosaics, yummy local food, less pervasive tourists
- Cons:A tad quiet in the nightlife department
If I were to be accurate, I'd have to check off theater, concert, dance, and live music as the appropriate themes for... more travel advice
The truth? It was so dark inside the Basilica (in contrast to S. Apollinare, for instance) that I either failed to... more travel advice
- See All Some like it hot
- Pedal your way around Ravenna
- See All Gotta try the Italian pizza!
Bunsch's Related Pages
Ravenna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Byzantine culture blended with Italian flavour!"
- "Ravenna, City of Mosaics"
- "The magic of the mosaics"
- "Once was famous"
- "Basilica di Sant' Apollinare Nuovo"
- "Ravenna - A Byzantine Centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ravenna
- Hotels in Ravenna
- Transportation in Ravenna
- Nightlife in Ravenna
- Restaurants in Ravenna
- Shopping in Ravenna
- Warnings and Dangers in Ravenna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ravenna
- 21 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Ravenna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ravenna
Photos in RavennaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos