"The most famous Etruscan necropolis" Tarquinia by Bunsch
Tarquinia Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 23 photos
We decided that no Etruscan-oriented tour of Italy was complete without a visit to Tarquinia, which features one of the largest and most famous of the Etruscan necropoli. There are about 150 tombs, many dating to 700 BC, festooned with wonderful drawings or frescoes of Etruscans cavorting, often in full color. I have to admit that it was blazing hot on the day we arrived, and the notion of tramping around the vast space was not very appealing. Luckily there is an excellent museum which, having been built with those lovely thick walls, defeats much of the summer heat so that you can ogle the treasures inside in relative comfort.
The museum is situated high above the Mediterranean sea. Just a glance out the window is sufficient to have tourists asking themselves on a hot day, "Why aren't we down there enjoying the beach?" So our next stop was at Tarquinia Lido for lunch and potential watersports. We ruled those out only when it became obvious that the sand was too hot to even walk on it!
- Pros:If you're Etruscan, it's a great place to die
You wanted fresh seafood, right? The great big aquarium which greets you (and mesmerizes the small fry) isn't the source... more travel advice
The Etruscans constructed a city, one of twelve in their federation, about two miles east of modern Tarquinia. Nearby,... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
Tarquinia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The most famous Etruscan necropolis"
- "Ancient Beauty"
- "Here Is An Etruscan Museum and A Nearby Tomb Site"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarquinia
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Tarquinia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarquinia
Photos in TarquiniaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos