"Mariana Islands - The place of beautiful sunsets" Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Mariana Islands by scubaozgirl

Northern Mariana Islands Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 357 photos

Arriving in Saipan

I came to the Mariana Islands to visit a family member who was working there at the time.

Initially my impression was one of indifference. It was so incredibly hot and humid, we had a typhoon warning and it rained an awful lot.

My second week here, enlightened me. The Mariana Islands have an amazing history particularly pertaining to the Japanese occupation and the Americans in WW2. The stories that I heard were both incredibly sad and memorable. Tinian was where the Enola Gay departed to bomb Hiroshima.

Amazing colours

I visited Guam, Saipan, Tinian & Rota whilst on this trip.
The colour of the ocean was absolutely stunning. It looked as if someone had painted every hue off blue in stripes. The Marianas Trench which is the deepest part of the ocean in the world.......colours that emit above it are the deepest blue/black. It is hard to describe the beauty in simple words.

The tropical flowers were just gorgeous and abundant. Though is was the sunsets that were so breathtaking.

Why come here?

It is one of those destinations that I would really not have considered going to without a reason. This however was my second trip. I also travelled here in January 2005.
OK, the diving, always a good reason to travel. The diving here was a different experience. I loved it. The Grotto dive off Saipan was beautiful. The dives off Saipan & Tinian to see the WW2 wrecks were great.....Japanese planes, tanks, US jeeps, u name it. A word of warning...the ammo is live.......and some bombs unexploded, another warning Tiger Sharks...all part of the excitement !!

Rota was definitely my favourite, tropical rainforests, a bird sanctuary, caves, beautiful beaches, rock pools, gr8 diving and unspolit.
I found the most amazing large swimming hole complete with it's own ecosystem of tropical fish and corals. Just wonderful, I stayed there for hours. Rota is a geologist's heaven. The volcanic rock formations are unusual and fascinating.

• Pros:Great diving & beaches, some unspolit areas, nice resorts- Tinian Dynasty Hotel/Casino, interesting history
  • Cons:Saipan lacks identity, Memorials, could be kept in better condition, Tinian needs more historical info sign posted-
  • In a nutshell:Colourful, tropical and historial
  • Last visit to Northern Mariana Islands: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2008

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Wonderful sunsets!!!

• Mara_2's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 6:11 AM

It must be an incredible place! I'll love to see it and ive there! :D

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 10:47 PM

what beautiful photos!!!!

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 3:52 PM

great photos, been to a few of these islands mainly because of work and it's great to see the what it has to offer.

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Hi Honey, I'm home for one night and one night only - it is kinda cool to be home. Though I wouldn't mind being in Sydney right now. Aaaah, for some warm weather!

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Quite simply, magical. I hope you've been well :) Bye from Dubai... Siddharth

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM

thanks for the photos of the Marianas. My father was there in WWII in his submarine, and I will show him when he visits.

• Feb 1, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Your sunset pictures are amazing and romantic

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Looks like a nice place, never even heard of the place, but that is why I do armchair travelling here on VT. thanks for sharing ;-)

scubaozgirl

“On extended holiday, am not able to answer mail”

Badges & Stats in Northern Mariana Islands

Have you been to Northern Mariana Islands?

Latest Activity in Northern Mariana Islands