"ABU SIMBEL" Temple of Abu Simbel by scubaozgirl
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 919 photos
Abu simbel is well worth the day trip despite the old aircaft with scratched windows & incredible heat...and I am a sun lover!
Abu Simbel consists of two temples that are close to the borders of Egypt & Sudan. These temples were construted for Pharaoh Ramses 11.
The facade you see here features four seated statues of Ramses reaching almost 20 metres.
The temple has undergone an amazing reconstruction and shifted to higher ground due to the rising waters of Lake Naser upon completion of the Aswan High Dam in the 1960s.
One of the most impressive monuments in Egypt.
The entire mountain on which The Temple of Ramses has been reconstructed is hollow.
Inside is a huge dome the size of five football fields which was both fantastic and completely surprising.
You should not miss this opportunity to view these amazing monuments.
This is another impressive temple at Abu Simbel however it is much simpler.
It only has only one hypostyle hall and the sanctuary within.
In the hall there are various depictions of Ramses, images during battle, coronation and daily life. A bit like an ancient photo album.
There are gods featured as well such as Hathor-goddess of fertility and beauty, Horus -the falcon god, Seth-god of chaos and Mut-wife of god Amon-Re.
- Pros:Incredible, overwhelming in size
- Cons:Bit of a chore to get to, heat! But worth it.
- In a nutshell:Unforgettable Abu Simbel
scubaozgirl's Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Mariana Islands Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- State of South Australia Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Blue Mountains Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotorua Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Paris Intro, 3 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 3 photos
- Sun City Intro, 3 photos
- Milford Sound Intro, 3 photos
- Temple of Abu Simbel Intro, 3 photos