"I can reach highest mountains..." Fitz Roy by Maggies

Fitz Roy Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 156 photos

El Chalten is the base town for many excursions but the most important are the trails to spectacular mountains Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre. These are some of the most impressive peaks in Andes that attract people from all over the world and challenge the climbers because of their vertical granite walls. There are some treks that are quite easy, depending on how far do you want to go. You can get to some view points after easy walks and admire the mountains. The views are really breathtaking.

Right after coming to El Calafate and checking into our Hostel we took a quick decision on how to spend the 3 days. Sure we wanted to see Perito Moreno but we weren't sure what could we fit in the rest of the time. The stuff at the Hostel came in extremly helpful and practically tailored our trip. We went to see Perito Moreno right away so we had 2 full days to make a good use of it . We went to El Chalten the next morning, did a hike to Laguna Torre at the bottom of Cerro Torre still the same day, did a hike to Laguna de Los Tres at the foot of Fitz Roy next day and caught the afternoon return coach to El Calafate.

• Pros:Some of the most impressive mountains in the world not being visited by many tourists yet.
  • Cons:The base town is not easy to get to.
  • Last visit to Fitz Roy: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2008

• StephanB's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Thanks for the great tips on El Chalten. We are heading there next week for a couple days.

• Nov 28, 2007 at 3:38 PM

this is a fantastic page! thanks for your helpful info, and lovely photos.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Very helpful tips, especially on trekking, for El Chalten. It's our next stop after we leave Bariloche.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 5:20 PM

I see it's a kind of destination for me and my camera :-) Thanks for sharing.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 10:34 AM

Ah, so the typical weather for El Chalten :-) The road to there is now going to be paved, so maybe it will take less time at a point in time. But La Leona is good, no ? Smiles from here :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 10:53 AM

It looks a bit nippier than when I was there but good to see you're out there trekking after all. :)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2005 at 8:03 AM

Obviously something behind the last comment:-) But what a nice place to do that hike at!

Maggies

“My home is where my heart is...”

Badges & Stats in Fitz Roy

Have you been to Fitz Roy?