"Medias and Biertan" Biertan by rambling_rose
Biertan Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 54 photos
We took a train from Sighisoara to visit Medias and arrived on a foggy Sunday morning. The only people around were old ladies off to church and people going to set up the market stalls. One of the Saxon towns, we pressed our ears to the church doors to hear a bit of the service, which was in German! It's surrounded by walls and towers, one of which housed Vlad the Impaler in 1467.
Standing looking from the battlements of Biertan, you could be forgiven for thinking you'd been whisked back to the Middle Ages. Unfortunately the best known of the Saxon fortified churches was clsed when we visited. Completed in 1522, it's now on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
The fog certainly added atmosphere to our visit and gave the rather rundown cottages a certain charm. Can't be a bundle of laughs living there permanently, however, although the local kids seemed to be having fun chasing dogs and ducks!
- Pros:Stunning medieval village
- Cons:Difficult to get to on a Sunday without own transport!
rambling_rose's Related Pages
Biertan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The bells, the bells.............."
- "BIERTAN - Unesco Patrimony"
- "an amazing church with fortifications"
- "Biertan - a real Romanian gem"
- "THE ROUTE OF THE SAXON CHURCHES"
- "Medias and Biertan"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Biertan
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Biertan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biertan
Top 10 Pages
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Salento Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Chisinau Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Popayán Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- San Agustín Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Bran Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- San Cristóbal de Las Casas Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Brasov Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.