"Snagov - Dracula's resting place" Snagov by rambling_rose
Snagov Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 19 photos
If you've read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, then you'll know about the monastery on an island where Vlad the Impaler was buried. It's quite a surprise, then, to find such a tiny place! Beautiful frescos, lovely chickens running around outside, and the rudest, craziest monk I've met in a long time. Go, just irritate him! He even chased off our boatman, who had to wait for us in the middle of the lake at a safe distance....
Getting to the monastery isn't hard, but involves an interesting mix of transport. Get a maxitaxi (minibus) from Piata Presei Libere in Bucharest, then walk through the village to the Complex Astoria where down by the lake, you can find a couple of guys playing backgammon beside a hut. The transport options are a) hire a boat to row yourself across b) hire a man and a boat c) hire a man and a motorboat. He'll wait for you and take you back again, which gives you all an opportunity to sound off about the craziness of the Snagov monk.
Proof that people in villages are friendlier and more open than in big cities. Wandering back through Snagov village, we heard music and poked our noses over someone's fence, only to be dragged into a post-wedding celebration. They wouldn't take no for an answer, and plied us with beer, sarmale, chicken and chips, coffee.... And we had a bit of a dance outside the garage!
rambling_rose's Related Pages
Snagov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Snagov - visit to Dracula"
- "Snagov - Dracula's resting place"
- "the resting place of vlad tepes"
- "Snagov Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Snagov
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Snagov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snagov
Top 10 Pages
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Salento Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Chisinau Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Popayán Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- San Agustín Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Bran Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- San Cristóbal de Las Casas Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Brasov Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.