"Dobrich, City of the Dobrudja" Dobrich by little_briton

Dobrich Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 36 photos

Places to go

This was my second visit to Dobrich, but my first chance to look around. I made the usual tourist trip to The Ethnological museum, which is a complex of restored Bulgarian revival buildings housing the Archaeological Museum, a collection of craft workshops where I had bought a miniature St George icon on my last visit. I found the museum fascinating and everyone there exceptionally helpful, especially the the English interpreter that materialised like an angel and gave me a guided tour.
My next cultural visit was to the Art Gallery Where I saw a student show of paperwork in addition to many particularly Bulgarian paintings and some Constructivist style sculptures. Everyone here was really helpful although I found my lack of Bulgarian embarrassing. I visited the church of St. George and although no longer a practising Christian, I was impressed by the atmosphere in this small church.
My Last visit was to the Yordan Yovkov museum near the park. I really enjoyed my tour with a very patient woman who I would like to thank but unfortunately I forgot to write her name down. The other cultural venue I saw was the theatre but I did not go because of my lack of Bulgarian.
There were street sculptures everywhere.

Dobrich streets and people

I spent some time wandering the streets of Dobrich. At the time I was there, the centre of the town was being renovated with construction work and road resurfacing going on all day. The main square must have been crossed by half the population during the day as it was busy from early morning until late evening. There were young children riding electric cars on the square for most of the day. The square also seemed to be the early morning meeting place for the street dogs before they dispersed throughout the city. The dogs were not aggressive and never a problem although every cafe seemed to have one residing outside. I was also warned about gypsys but had no problems.
The pedestrianised centre has something of a Mediterranean feel with lots of pavement cafes. Many people seemed to eat on the move, buying pizza or wraps from the many outlets. Most of the shops and cafes were even open on Sunday. I was hampered again by my deplorable lack of Bulgarian and I would advise anyone intending to visit to learn a little of the language. However, I did not starve and the cost of eating out was no more than half that in the UK.

The surrounding area

Dobrich is a modern busy city that has retained a Bulgarian identity. Most people I saw were smart and fashionable despite the published high unemployment rate and relatively low standard of living. The streets were clean and tidy and service was mostly pleasant and efficient. I am waiting now for next year's vacation when I hope to return... armed with a little Bulgarian language.
Outside the city the standard of living seems to fall dramatically with villages of small houses. People in the villages still use donkey carts for short journeys and public transport for longer distances. My trip did not bring me into direct contact with many people from the rural areas but I intend to remedy that on my next trip.
I have many more photos that I would have liked to include but I hope my choice is representative.

Thank you to Ivo and Svetlin for the help and guidance they gave me.

• Pros:intelligent friendly people, cultural centre for the area, reasonable prices
  • Cons:you really need some Bulgarian, budget flights are available in summer only
  • In a nutshell:Not a tourist trap but a relaxed working city
  • Last visit to Dobrich: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2009

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 7:09 AM

very good intro on Dobrich! it's interesting to see what a foreigner thinks about it; nice little city,isn't? good luck with your bulgarian:)

little_briton

“it is never too late”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Dobrich

Have you been to Dobrich?

Latest Activity in Dobrich