"BALI ~ ISLAND PARADISE" Bali by longsanborn
Bali Travel Guide: 6,300 reviews and 15,209 photos
Bali is so postcard-picturesque that you would think you are in a paradise: green rice paddies landscaped and terraced down hillsides like giant steps, volcanoes soar through the fat white clouds, forests and bright flowers are lush and tropical, and the beaches are kissed and caressed by the warm waters of the Indian Ocean.
I was in Bali in January 1997 together with my sister V and my best friend, JY. It was the first time for all of us to be there and we had a great time. We were there for almost a week and we stayed in Kuta town. We hired a car with a local driver and we drove around the island most of the time.
We returned to Bali again in January 2008, this time with our 2nd sister in tow. So much have changed in Kuta town, especially after the 2 Bali bombings. There were less westerners and Australians, and more east Asian tourists. All around, it was more quiet and somber. To me, gone were the livelier days and nights of surfer parties.
I remembered Bali to be the most beautiful island I've ever visited.
Everywhere, the fertile volcanic-rich land was decorated with Hindu temples and wooden-carved houses, and the terraced golden rice fields and lush green vegetations acting as wallpapers.
The local Balinese were very friendly and warm people (not the Javanese who came from Sumatra island); Balinese are devout Hindus and it was amazing to see them bringing flowers to their temples and shrines to pray every day.
There were amazing sights I've noticed in Bali during my 2nd trip there in January 2008.
On 23 January 2008, the Balinese had their "Hari Raya" (new year). Hence most shops were closed and many locals went to temples for worship. I have to opportunity to observe them this time. Their petite lithe slim women have tall trays of food offerings balanced on their heads, as they made their way to their temples. It was really amazing watching them striding along the roads with their tall loads perfectly balanced on their glorious crown of hair.
Another amazing thing I've noticed was that the Balinese can really ride their motorbikes with their whole family on the bikes. If they have 2 children, one kid will sit in front and the 2nd kid squeezed between the driver and the adult passenger.
Another amazing feat I've noticed about the Balinese women is that they can sit sideways on the motorbikes without falling off. Totally, totally amazing.
Like I've said above, I visited Bali again - for 2nd time - in January 2008, after being away for over 10 years. I've noticed lots of changes - especially in Kuta town. The atmosphere was more quiet and somber (to me, anyways).
When I was in Tanah Lot, I noticed some improvements in the gardens surrounding areas facing the ocean. There are more sitting areas, so that everyone can enjoy the beautiful sunset over the Bali island.
- Pros:Beautiful and Peaceful; Vibrant with Lively Colors
- Cons:Very touristy in some areas
- In a nutshell:More than just brilliant sunsets, wild surfs and beaches
Bedugul is the name of both a small city and a mountain-lake resort area, which Balinese have long used for weekend... more travel advice
Visit the royal Taman Ayun temple in Mengwi (built in 1624), the holy monkey forest near Sangeh, which is on the way to... more travel advice
- See All Cool oasis in Kuta city centre
- Try the "Dirty Duck" Restaurant
- Hire a Car with a local driver
longsanborn's Related Pages
Bali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharing my experiences Under the Bali Sunshine"
- "Bali, A Travel to Island Of Paradise :"
- "Bali, Indonesia..."
- "Bali - Island Beauty"
- "...stranded between heaven and earth"
- "BALI Of Gods, Goddesses & Demons"
- "Bali - Home of the Gods (& mischievious monkeys)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bali
- Hotels in Bali
- Transportation in Bali
- Nightlife in Bali
- Restaurants in Bali
- Shopping in Bali
- Warnings and Dangers in Bali
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bali
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bali
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Bali hotels
- Jimbaran Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Kuta Hotels
- 333 Reviews - 724 Photos
- Ubud Hotels
- 520 Reviews - 1297 Photos
- Sanur Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 228 Photos
- Denpasar Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 137 Photos
- Uluwatu Hotels
- 236 Reviews - 641 Photos
- Bali Hotels
- 666 Reviews - 1602 Photos
- Karangasem Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Gianyar Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Singaraja Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Bedugul Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 91 Photos
- Danau Tamblingan Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Tabanan Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Klungkung Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Pulau Nusadua Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 96 Photos