"Enchanting Town in the Heart of Europe" Cesky Krumlov by longsanborn
Cesky Krumlov Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 828 photos
My friend and I were in this lovely little town near the border of Austria and the Czech Republic at the end of August. We took a bus coach from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov; the journey took almost 4 hours each way. We left Vienna at 6.30 am and arrived there by 10.30 am.
We were taken on a guided tour around the Cesky Krumlov Castle's park gardens and a bit around the old town. We had lunch in a restaurant near the river, spent 1 hour inside the Cesky Krumlov Castle, and then 2 hours of our own free time exploring the old town. We returned to Vienna around 5.30pm and reached home by 9.00pm.
That was a full exhausting day! But we love it so much we plan to return for another visit, this time, more leisurely and relaxing.
Old Český Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
When we walked around the cobblestone streets and alleys of this lovely little bohemian town, we were taken by how well-kept the old buildings were. We were told by our guide that Cesky Krumlov was lucky not to be bombed during the WWII but it became run down when the Communist took over.
After the liberation of the Czech Republic, Cesky Krumlov began reconstruction only in the 1990s; perhaps that's why the town still looked quite good. Anyway, since then, more tourists started visiting this lovely bohemian town every year.
If you are interested to know more and perhaps visit this lovely town, you can open this website about Cesky Krumlov.
Český Krumlov Castle is unusually large for a town of Krumlov's size; within the Czech Republic it is second in extent only to the Hradčany castle complex of Prague. Inside its grounds is a large garden, an extensive bridge over a deep gap in the rock upon which the castle is built and the castle itself, which in turn consist of many defined parts dating from different periods of time.
The Castle itself has a lot of history due to its past occupants, including a ghost lady in white (according to the castle guide!). It is interesting to visit the castle interiors and the castle tower (which we didn't have time to do).
We were so taken by this lovely town that we hope to visit it again in the future, perhaps for a long weekend, instead of a one-day excursion. So that we can enjoy the town at a leisure pace.
- Pros:Romantic setting complete with cobblestone streets
- Cons:Not easy to get there; need own/hired transport
- In a nutshell:Still some Bohemian soul in left in this medieval town!
The cascade fountain was built in 1750 - 1765. The original statues are kept in the castle Lapidary while the copies can... more travel advice
longsanborn's Related Pages
Cesky Krumlov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FANTASTIC MEDIEVAL CITY OF CESKY KRUMLOV"
- "cesky krumlov bohemia"
- "Southern Bohemia's Fairy Tale Village"
- "Breathtaking Unesco World Heritage site!"
- "Cesky Krumlov, the Red Roof Town"
- "Cesky Krumlov: second only to Venice"
- "Cesky Krumlov"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cesky Krumlov
- Hotels in Cesky Krumlov
- Transportation in Cesky Krumlov
- Nightlife in Cesky Krumlov
- Restaurants in Cesky Krumlov
- Shopping in Cesky Krumlov
- Warnings and Dangers in Cesky Krumlov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cesky Krumlov
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Cesky Krumlov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cesky Krumlov
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2010 in Krakow,..."
- updated a Cesky Krumlov Travel Page "Enchanting Town in the Heart of Europe"
- Wrote a Review The Cascade Fountain in Castle Gardens in Cesky Krumlov Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Cascade Fountain in Castle Gardens"
- Commented on one of globetrott's Cesky Krumlov travel pages
Photos in Cesky KrumlovSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Latest Cesky Krumlov hotel reviews
- Hotel Konvice
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hostel Merlin
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Hostel Skippy
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Pension Ve Vezi (In the Tower)
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 8, 2012
- Hostel Ryba
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2005
- Pension Danny
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2012
- Traveller's Hostel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Pension Na louzi
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Pension SV. Hubertus
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 4, 2013
- Castle View Apartments
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Svambersky dum Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hostel 99
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Pension Mysi Dira
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Penzion U Pivovaru
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Dvorak
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013