"HALLSTATT : GOD-GIVEN NATURAL BEAUTY" Hallstatt by longsanborn
Hallstatt Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 719 photos
There are many pretty villages in the Salzkammergut area but the Upper Austrian town of Hallstatt isn't just any village -- it's a major Celtic archæological landmark and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Hallstatt is known as one of the most beautiful lakeside holiday resorts in Austria. This unique town, which was famous for its legendary salt mines in the past, is built on the edge of the western shores of the Hallstätter See/Lake.
It is wonderfully remote and almost traffic-free. Hallstatt seems tinier than it is. Its small square is surrounded by ivy-covered houses and cobbled-stone lanes. It’s like a toy town. You can walk/tour around it in about 10-20 minutes, depending how slow/fast you are walking.
The minute I saw the picture of Hallstatt on a tourist poster in Mondsee, I wanted very much to see this beautiful Alpine village. Hallstatt is even on the main cover of my Austria Eye-witness guide book!
When I finally saw it in May 2005, it took my breath away. It was more beautiful than I've ever imagined. All my photographs taken could never do justice to this beautiful village/town.
Hallstatt was awarded the "World's Culture & Nature Heritage" by the UNESCO in December 1997.
- Hallstatt Local Heritage Museum
- Archeological excavation site
- Hallstatt Charnel House & Catholic Parish Church
- "Salzwelten Hallstatt" Salt Mining Museum
- Corpus Christi Procession on the lakeshore
- Boat trips on Hallstättersee lake
- Pros:Small, compact and beautiful
- Cons:Need car to get there, and must park outskirt of village
longsanborn's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt - Picturesque UNESCO village"
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Photos in HallstattSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Hallstatt hotel reviews
- Pension Hallberg
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2012
- Seehotel Gruner Baum
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Gasthof Simony
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Gasthof Zauner
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Gasthof Hirlatz
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion