"KREMS an der DONAU" Top 5 Page for this destination Krems an der Donau by longsanborn
Krems an der Donau Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 269 photos
Krems an der Donau is a city of Austria, in the federal state of Lower Austria, at the end of Wachau valley.
I read that there are not many cities in Austria which can offer such a great variety in cultural, historical or culinary offers as the attractive "double town" of Krems-Stein. Located in the eastern-most part of the Wachau valley, the town - more than 1000 years old - impresses its visitors with historical buildings in the old town centre, having been announced "world heritage" by the UNESCO in 2000.
When you get to the Wachau area, you can use Krems as a base to travel around - go see villages such as Durnstein, Melk, Spit, Aggstein, or explore the surrounding vineyards on both sides of the Wachau, or go hiking or biking, or take a boat ride to Melk to see the 1000-year old monastry of Melk.
When I visited Wachau in 2004, I stayed for 2-3 days in Krems at the Weingut Zohrer Gasthaus (see my tip) and visited the surrounding areas. It was one of the nicest holidays I've had in Austria.
When I was in Krems, I explored the Old Town which has an old arch gate entrance (see pic) which led into an array of shops, restaurants, pubs and coffee shops.
From Vienna via the A22 and the B3 to Krems
From the A1 west highway from St.Pölten via the S33 to Krems
From A1 west highway until Melk and then on the B3 to Krems
(through the Wachau)
From Vienna (Franz-Josef-railway station) to Krems: travel time: about 1 hour
From St. Pölten (west train) to Krems: travel time: about 30-45 min.
Train information railway station Krems: +43 2732 82536 345
General train information Vienna: +43 1 1717
When you visit the Donau go to 1000 years-old Melk Abbey or Stift Melk. Stift Melk is an historic Austrian Benedictine... more travel advice
STIFT (Monastery) GÖTTWEIG was actually a surprise for me. From the outside, I didn't see much; just high walls and dull... more travel advice
longsanborn's Related Pages
Krems an der Donau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wachau - Krems, Aggstein and Surroundings"
- "KREMS an der DONAU"
- "A pleasant day trip away from Vienna"
- "Wachau - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- "Not the Capital City of Lower Austria :-("
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krems an der Donau
- Hotels in Krems an der Donau
- Transportation in Krems an der Donau
- Nightlife in Krems an der Donau
- Restaurants in Krems an der Donau
- Shopping in Krems an der Donau
- Warnings and Dangers in Krems an der Donau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Krems an der Donau
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Krems an der Donau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krems an der Donau
Photos in Krems an der DonauSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Krems an der Donau hotel reviews
- Orange Wings Krems
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2012