"KREMS an der DONAU" Top 5 Page for this destination Krems an der Donau by longsanborn

Krems an der Donau Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 269 photos

Krems on the Danube

Krems an der Donau is a city of Austria, in the federal state of Lower Austria, at the end of Wachau valley.

I read that there are not many cities in Austria which can offer such a great variety in cultural, historical or culinary offers as the attractive "double town" of Krems-Stein. Located in the eastern-most part of the Wachau valley, the town - more than 1000 years old - impresses its visitors with historical buildings in the old town centre, having been announced "world heritage" by the UNESCO in 2000.

When you get to the Wachau area, you can use Krems as a base to travel around - go see villages such as Durnstein, Melk, Spit, Aggstein, or explore the surrounding vineyards on both sides of the Wachau, or go hiking or biking, or take a boat ride to Melk to see the 1000-year old monastry of Melk.

When I visited Wachau in 2004, I stayed for 2-3 days in Krems at the Weingut Zohrer Gasthaus (see my tip) and visited the surrounding areas. It was one of the nicest holidays I've had in Austria.

Exploring the Krems Old Town

When I was in Krems, I explored the Old Town which has an old arch gate entrance (see pic) which led into an array of shops, restaurants, pubs and coffee shops.

How to get to Krems

Car:
From Vienna via the A22 and the B3 to Krems
From the A1 west highway from St.Pölten via the S33 to Krems
From A1 west highway until Melk and then on the B3 to Krems
(through the Wachau)

Train:
From Vienna (Franz-Josef-railway station) to Krems: travel time: about 1 hour
From St. Pölten (west train) to Krems: travel time: about 30-45 min.
Train information railway station Krems: +43 2732 82536 345
General train information Vienna: +43 1 1717

• Last visit to Krems an der Donau: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 5:33 AM

Helena! Thanks for your great story about that place!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Hi Helena. I didn't get to Krems but enjoyed reading your account of it instead. I was at Melk last time so definitely,next time, I must get on that boat. Nice page and that restaurant sounds just divine :))

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Great tips. I hope to eat one day at Liesl`s great restaurant, too. And for sure I shall visit the Heurigen in the Sandgrube!

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2006 at 9:52 AM

I went to viticultural school in Krems and so I know it very well. It has a very picturesque old town centre. There are some fine bars as well. I enjoyed it.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2006 at 7:12 PM

Outstanding restaurant tip. Bravo for well written tips with great photos.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 11:11 AM

That Heuriger looks nice, I hope you also saw a bit of the old city of Krems ! ;~)

longsanborn

“Learn to get in touch with silence within yourself & know that everything in this life has purpose (E Kubler-Ross)”

Badges & Stats in Krems an der Donau

Have you been to Krems an der Donau?

Latest Activity in Krems an der Donau