Vienna Transportation Tips by longsanborn Top 5 Page for this destination
Vienna Transportation: 520 reviews and 667 photos
There are a few budget airlines serving within Europe now offering cheap prices to fly directly to Vienna. They include Air Berlin (Germany), Sky Europe (Slovakia), and Blu Express (Italy). You can go to their website to check out the prices.
Other international airlines offering cheap flights include Qatar Airline, Turkish Airlines, Italia Air, British Airways, etc.
Other Contact: www.blu-express.com
Just take note that since early 2009, the trams no. 1 and no. 2 no longer just go around the Ring-strasse. Due to some change in the route plan, the tram lines No. 1, which used to loop round the historic centre, and No. 2, which travels it counter-clockwise, will now branch off to other parts of the city. Therefore, you have to be careful to change trams at certain stops. Please ask the tram drivers for more information.
By the way, you can buy tram tickets from a machine at the front of the tram, but you must have correct change.
Vienna has excellent public transportation. The transports are comfortable, always punctual and frequent (especially during the work rush hours; 3-5 minutes intervals). It is very convenient to use the public transport within the City. With one ticket, you can ride the underground trains/metros, buses and trams - as long as it is for one journey and/or within 60 minutes, whichever is earlier.
Vienna has 5 Metro or Underground Lines and they are numbered accordingly; for example, U1 (red line), U2 (blue line), U3 (orange), U4 (green), U6 (brown). Apparently, there is no U5!
One-way journey ticket (~60 minutes) would cost Euro 1.80 (Zone 1) and a one-day (24-hour) ticket will cost Euro 5 - 6. You can buy your ticket from the ticket machines located in all the train stations. After you buy the ticket, you have to validate your ticket on the blue stamping machines located by the entrance of the trains. If you do not validate your ticket, you will be fined by the ticket controller if you get caught. A stiff fine of Euro 60+ will be charged immediately.
If you are arriving to Vienna by train, you will either arrive at one of the following main train stations:
1) South Train Station (Sudbahnhof)
2) West Train Station (Westbahnhof)
From these main Train stations, you can get to the city centre by the underground train (U-Bahn), trams, buses, or taxis.
Austrian Airlines is the flag carrier airline of Austria, with its headquarters in Vienna. Its main base is Vienna International Airport (VIE). In 2006, Austrian Airlines dominates the market for flights from/to Central- and Eastern Europe.
Austrian's longest routes are from Vienna to Melbourne and Sydney, Australia, via Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, respectively, which will end on March 25, 2007. Scheduled services to Shanghai will end from 7 January 2007, flights to Phuket, Mauritius and Colombo and Malé will end from April 2007 and those to Kathmandu in May 2007.
More Reviews (168)
- See All Italian from Naples
- See All Mozart Balls (Not what you think)
- See All Opposite the VIC/UNO City and Austria...
- See All Visit the Tiergarten Schönbrunn...
- See All Vienna and the Euro 2008
- See All Check out Taborstrasse in Leopoldstadt...
- See All Beware of Handphone Snatchers!
- See All Soft Romances at Museum Quartier
- See All To Tip/Not to Tip? How much? Tough...
- See All Roller Blading in Vienna's Many Parks
- See All Prepare for a Hot, Hot, Hot Summer
- See All Only for the Ladies!
longsanborn's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 173 Reviews
- 436 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (436)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tuscany Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Schonbrunn- 293 Reviews, 549 Photos
- Hofburg- 231 Reviews, 503 Photos
- Stephansdom- 236 Reviews, 479 Photos
- Belvedere- 174 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Hundertwasser- 111 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Ringstrasse- 174 Reviews, 287 Photos
- Oper - Staatsoper- 97 Reviews, 166 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 95 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Giant Ferris Wheel- 45 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Spanische Hofreitschule - Lipizzaner- 39 Reviews, 69 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do