Vienna Favorite Tips by longsanborn Top 5 Page for this destination
Vienna Favorites: 609 reviews and 759 photos
Egyptian statue dressed in football shirt!
Favorite thing: You don't have to worry about the Euro 2008 in Vienna because the football fans are not very crazy or dangerous, as long as you stay out of the FanZone in the evenings during the main games. Vienna is generally safe and there are many security people and police all around the city to make sure visitors and fans have an enjoyable stay. Just make sure you keep your wallet and belongings close to you because there might be unscrupulous and damning petty thieves taking advantage of the festive atmosphere and joyous celebrations. There might be some over-jubilant fans - who may have too much beer from the beginning! - walking around and shouting happily, but they are generally harmless and fun to watch.
Fondest memory: During this historic event, I was happy to see the lively, colorful and festive atmosphere in the usually cool and calm Vienna city. I enjoy seeing the many nationalities and cultures coming together to celebrate the "beautiful game" of soccer.
Favorite thing: When I first came to Vienna, I was told that Austrians tend to be quite strict on "trinkgeld" (tips). This is because the workers get low basic salaries and they depend on tips for their survival.
Most Austrians would round up the amount. Hence, Euro 2.25 would become Euro 2.50; or Euro 64.50 will become Euro 70. One will not offend if one simply "rounds-up." I do think that excessive tipping seems rather frowned upon. I doubt the receiver of the tips will complain but I think it is seen as a bit showy if you give a big fat tip. So, you will just have to play it by ear.
I would usually give @10% tips, unless the service was horrible.
Fondest memory: In restaurants and bars, the service fee is not included in the total bill. The waiters/waitress will expect around 10% tips.
For others - in general - you can give 10% - 15% to taxi drivers and hair-dressers. Porters may expect about Euro 1 or Euro 2.
Favorite thing: "The 3rd Man" (1949) was filmed in Vienna - see the sewers and cemetery. This film is always shown at the Burg Kino, one of the cinema that shows films in English/original language.
The film is about an american author Holly Martins (Joseph Cotten) who arrived in Vienna to meet old friend Harry Lime (Orson Welles). On arrival he finds Harry was just killed in an accident and attends his funeral. The police were happy that his death was an accident but Martins begins to investigate the accident and found out things that lead him to a shocking discovery that will eventually challenge his values and friendship.
Fondest memory: Classic British thriller movie like Hollywood seldom used to make. The film is constantly dark and shadowy. The city of Vienna is shown as both beautiful and in ruins. The final confrontation in the sewers of Vienna is excellent.
More Reviews (170)
- See All Italian from Naples
- See All Mozart Balls (Not what you think)
- See All Route change in Tram No. 1 and No. 2
- See All Opposite the VIC/UNO City and Austria...
- See All Visit the Tiergarten Schönbrunn...
- See All Check out Taborstrasse in Leopoldstadt...
- See All Beware of Handphone Snatchers!
- See All Soft Romances at Museum Quartier
- See All To Tip/Not to Tip? How much? Tough...
- See All Roller Blading in Vienna's Many Parks
- See All Prepare for a Hot, Hot, Hot Summer
- See All Only for the Ladies!
longsanborn's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "WALTZ INTO VIENNA!"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 173 Reviews
- 436 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- Commented on one of longsanborn's Vienna tips
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunshine has good roast duck"
- Wrote a Review Italian from Naples about Ristorante Da Gino E Maria in Vienna Restaurants
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2010 in Krakow,..."
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (436)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tuscany Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
- Belvedere Palace & Gardens- 180 Reviews, 342 Photos
- Schönbrunn Palace- 304 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Hofburg Palace Complex- 264 Reviews, 587 Photos
- Stephansdom - St. Stephen's Cathedral- 257 Reviews, 534 Photos
- Wiener Staatsoper - State Opera House- 104 Reviews, 193 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 99 Reviews, 187 Photos
- Hundertwasserhaus- 130 Reviews, 273 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - History Museum- 72 Reviews, 166 Photos
- Grinzing- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Kärntner Straße- 21 Reviews, 44 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do