"VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !" Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna by longsanborn

Vienna Travel Guide: 7,579 reviews and 19,136 photos

My Home Away from Home

I came to Vienna, Austria, in July 1999 for work reasons and I've been here ever since. Initially, I dislike living in Vienna but as years went by, I've grown to love this lovely quiet city. But alas, I will leave Vienna in November 2011 after living here for 12 years, and moving on to The Hague, Netherlands, for work reasons.

Vienna is a beautiful romantic city and it's famous for its coffee culture and cafes, classical music and concert halls, operas, historical buildings, horse-drawn carriages, historical arts & modern museums, Mozart & Beethoven, Freud, Swarovski crystals, and best of all, the excellent public transport.

Vienna is also a great city for shopping as there are international chain stores and designer boutiques around, and also many local shops and boutiques competing for locals and tourists money. A non-EU tourist can get tax-free refund if the purchase exceeds Eur 80; just submit the form at the airport tax-free and money can be return.

For tourist visitors to Vienna, I have included a lot of Restaurant tips for you. I know how it is when traveling around, you get hungry and want to have a good but inexpensive meal. I have included "Cheap & Good" places to eat in my Tips. For the local residents and frequent visitors to Vienna, I have included several tips on Restaurants I have tried out. My recommendations may not agree with yours, but I hope you had fun trying out the Restaurants I have listed here. Bon Appetit!

Anyway, I can write so many things about Vienna, but I don't think I have enough space here. Just come and visit Vienna, and enjoy it for yourself

Stephansplatz and Stephansdom

If you come to Vienna for the first time, you must come to Stephansplatz, the center of Vienna city.

The Stephansdom cathedral dominates the square with its majestic towering roofs and sphires. Visit inside the cathedral to see the beautiful high domed ceilings, arcs and numerous religious art paintings and statues. You are allowed to stroll inside the cathedral as long as there is no church service.

Later, you can stroll around the square and see the numerous shops and designer boutiques that line the main shopping streets in the city center. If the weather is sunny and warm, you can sit at one of the many street cafes, have coffee and cakes, and then watch the people go by.

Museums and Palaces in Vienna

Vienna has many delightful and interesting museums for all tastes in arts. Check this out for more information on all the museums in Vienna: Museums

Expand your cultural horizon and savor the unique - traditional or modern - taste in arts... !

• Pros:Beautiful, Charming, Romantic and Full of Surprises
  • Cons:Crowded with tourists. Language problems.
  • In a nutshell:I love Vienna city - it's a bitter-sweet taste of culture and traditions
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2011

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hi longsanborn I printed out your tips for Vienna read them on the plane over to visit and found them very useful thanks for taking the time to post them

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2011 at 5:23 AM

A have visited your page again! This week we'll be in Vienna again and your tips are great! Thank you!

• berenices's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

you have fantastic tips on restaurants in the city. i hope to try out some of your recommendations!

• chinchin's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Thank you so much for this wonderful page. I will be in my "dream city" for two short days in July. chin

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Nice resto tips Helena, you must have contributed mightily to the Vienna restaurant economy.... Karl

• Nov 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Thanks this wonderful wien page. It may be helpful for new visitors.I think I will visit this beautiful city.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Thanks for showing more of the city living than we saw when had a short visit in 2007

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Great pages. Will be back for more.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Nice tips!

longsanborn Used To Live Here!

longsanborn

“Learn to get in touch with silence within yourself & know that everything in this life has purpose (E Kubler-Ross)”

Badges & Stats in Vienna