"MIRI - THE OIL TOWN" Top 5 Page for this destination Miri by longsanborn

Miri Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 620 photos

Discover Miri City, the gateway to Mulu

Miri is a small but fast growing city in northern Sarawak, Malaysia, on the island of Borneo. It is the second largest city in Sarawak.

The first oil well was drilled by the Shell Petroleum company in 1910, and this oil well is now a state monument and one of Miri's tourist attractions. The Shell Petroleum company also built Malaysia's first oil refinery in Lutong, a suburb of Miri, in 1914.

Miri has developed and grown a lot since oil was first discovered in the early 1900s, turning it into a modern and dynamic business and commercial centre. Before the oil, Miri was just a sleepy fishing village with soggy black soil that passed off smelly gases.

The city's other major industries include processed timber, oil palm production and tourism. Only in the recent years, Miri has started being an educational centre with the opening of the first offshore campus of the Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia in 1999.

The Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus, Malaysia. The Curtin Sarawak is the first foreign university campus to be set up in East Malaysia. Majority of the students come from East Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and (surprisingly) China.

For the tourists who enjoy nature and jungle adventures, Miri is the place to be. Tourists go to the Niah Caves, Lambir National Park, Loagan Bunut National Park, and Gunung Mulu National Park (a UNESCO world heritage).

For the diving fanatics, the beautiful yet fragile coral reefs off the coast of Miri is an ideal place for diving and to see the diverse marine life. Watch this video: Cleaning the Miri Reefs.

The world famous, and one of UNESCO world heritage, Gunung Mulu National Park is only a half an hour flight from the city and one of the favourite eco-tourism destinations. By air, tourists fly from Miri Airport to the Gunung Mulu National Park (one of the only two world heritage sites in Malaysia).

More information about Miri City

Miri has a tropical climate where the temperature is fairly constant, averaging between 22-33 Celsius (72-93 F) all year round. The climate is typically monsoonal and there is a wet season called Landas (an Iban term) between the months of November and February, when there is higher and more constant rainfall.

Humidity is very high (usually around 80%) and there is constant rainfall all year round - although the rain usually comes in short, heavy bursts for an hour or so during the afternoon, and then it can be clear and sunny the rest of the day. So it is better to carry an umbrella at all times.

Sadly, for the last 10 years since 1997, Miri suffers from the Haze season (usually in hot months of July - September). When this happens, the unbearable stifling heat and smoky polluted air will drive the Miri residents to stay indoors to avoid the unhealthy air. Relief comes when the wet monsoon rain falls to finally clear the air.

For more information, click to : (1) MIRI CITY; (2) News on Miri

Miri and I ~ The Strongest Link

Miri is my home town, where I grew up, and where most of my family and relatives are at the moment. Yet I can never seem to stay put in Miri. I find myself moving back and forth from Miri since childhood.

For example, when I was a toddler, my family transferred from Sarawak East Malaysia to Perak in West Malaysia for better life. As my father was in the army at the time, we constantly moved around from state to state due to his work. Then when I was 11 years old, my father retired from the army and my family moved back (permanently) to Miri town. I went to primary school and high school for a while.

After high school, I went overseas to pursue my college degree. After graduating, I returned to Miri. I stayed and worked there for a few years before moving to Brunei Darussalam to work. I was there for a while too before moving (again!) to Kuala Lumpur (KL). After in KL for almost 1 year, I left Malaysia to work in Vienna.

I've been in Vienna for almost 10 years now. However, I still return home every year to visit my family and Miri town (now, Miri City!).

For more information, you can read Miri Resort City

• Pros:Multi-racial friendly locals; colorful culture; slow-paced fun
  • Cons:Cannot recall at the moment !
  • In a nutshell:Not Just An Oil Town Anymore
  • Last visit to Miri: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2009

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Hello Helena, I just stumbled upon your Miri page. It is really well researched and full of very useful tips. Nice work. fergy.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Would love to see the sunset at the Esplanade...very nice pictures, Norman :)

• Balam's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Tamu Muhibbah is my kind of place, would love to spend time walking around it. Great tips and pics, would love to visit.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I am planning a trip to East Malaysia. Your tips are well written and very informative. Thanks, Helena!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Hi, Helena! Interesting stories of your life and travels, thanx!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 9:22 AM

:-) ...... My 1st visit to yr pages...looks like a nice place to be when the European winter is approaching. Greetings from Hungary.Tim

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 3:10 PM

an interesting page !

longsanborn Visits Here Frequently!

longsanborn

“Learn to get in touch with silence within yourself & know that everything in this life has purpose (E Kubler-Ross)”

Badges & Stats in Miri