"KOTA KINABALU" Kota Kinabalu by longsanborn
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide: 1,038 reviews and 2,697 photos
Kota Kinabalu, formerly known as Jesselton, is the capital of the state of Sabah. Often simply known as K.K., it is well known within Malaysia as a tourism getaway and a major gateway into Sabah and Borneo.
Kinabalu National Park, a World Heritage Site, is located about 90 kilometres from the city, and besides this, it also features a number of tourist attractions in and around the city itself.
The city is also one of the major commercial and industrial centers in East Malaysia besides Kuching in Sarawak.
Mount Kinabalu is situated about 90 kilometres east-northeast of the city. Incidently, Mount Kinabalu is also the highest mountain in South-East Asia.
The meaning and origin of the name Kinabalu is uncertain. One theory suggests it means "Chinese widow", where Kina meaning "Chinese" (person) in Kadazan-Dusun language, and balu meaning "widow" in Malay language.
This theory derives from a folk tale about a Chinese prince who came to the mountain in search of a giant pearl which is guarded by a dragon at the top of the mountain. While he was here, he married a local woman but later returned to China and left the woman heartbroken.
Alternatively, it is also argued that Kinabalu or Akinabalu is the name of the dragon which guards the giant pearl itself.
Another theory suggests that the term is derived from the name Aki Nabalu meaning the "revered place of the dead", in which, Aki means "ancestors" or "grandfather", and Nabalu being a name for the mountain in the Dusun language.
Finally there is also a source claiming that the term originated from Ki Nabalu, where Ki meaning "have" or "exist", and Nabalu meaning "spirit of the dead".
Kota is a Malay word for a "fort", "town", or a "city". Hence a direct translation of the name Kota Kinabalu into English would be "City of Kinabalu" or "Kinabalu City".
Palace Hotel is very affordable and it is located outside of the city, near to the airport and other industrial area and... more travel advice
longsanborn's Related Pages
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- "Malaysian Borneo"
- "KK (as it is commonly known)"
- "SABAH & KOTA KINABALU"
- "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- "KK Has It All!"
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu
- Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
- Transportation in Kota Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Kota Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
- Shopping in Kota Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Latest Kota Kinabalu hotel reviews
- Novotel 1Borneo Kota Kinabalu
- 339 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hyatt Kinabalu
- 329 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ruby Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2012
- Kasih Sayang Resort
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel Eden54
- 506 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Beringgis Beach Resort
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- The Jesselton Hotel
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Imperial International Hotel
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2012
- Mandarin Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2011
- Gaya Centre Hotel
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- North Borneo Cabin
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Hotel Capital
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013