"IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL!" longsanborn's Profile
Hello Visitors to my VT Page,
I have not been active on VT for some months now due to my work and personal life being too busy. In addition, the winter months were long and I've been "hibernating". Then recently a life-changing incident happened to me so suddenly that it made me realize that life is really so short and precious. So now that Spring is here and Summer coming soon, I am going to be active again - with updating my travel pages and tips as well as traveling around.
Like I said, life is short and precious. We should not take our God-given life and our loved ones for granted. We should always be thankful and grateful - not just content - but also strive to live our life to the fullest. Enjoy reading my travel stories and tips.
Thank you. Danke Schoen. Terima Kasih. Merci. Gracias.....
I have moved to The Hague, Netherlands in mid-October 2011 after living and working in Vienna, Austria for 12 years. I am excited to start my new job and new life in the pretty little city of Den Haag. I hope I get to stay here longer than 1 year, and get to make new wonderful friends as well. Anyway, let's see what the future holds!
Porto, Portugal (June 2011)
I went to Porto, Portugal, located in northern Portugal and residing along the River Duoro and close to the Atlantic Ocean. One of Portugal's internationally famous exports, Port wine, comes from Porto. The wine grapes are grown in the famous Duoro valley and shipped to Villa Nova de Gaia (a twin town directly across Porto), where the grapes are then pressed into wines, fermented and then later fortified with brandy to produce the famous Port wine.
Grado and Venice (April 2011)
I spent Easter 2011 in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia area of northern Italy. It is an area famous for white wines and Daniele ham. The famous towns within the region include Udine, Grado, Trieste, and Venice. The area is also quite close to the border of Croatia.
Grado, a town and comune in the north-eastern Italy, is located on a peninsula of the Adriatic Sea between Venice and Trieste. Once mainly a fishing center, today it is a popular tourist destination, known commonly as L'Isola del Sole ("The Sunny Island"), also famous because it is also a spa town; together with Marano Lagunare, it is the center of a lagoon, which is famous for its uncontaminated nature.
I have a few stuffed furry "friends" (toys) at home. They include 2 fat cat (ginger Ms. Chubby and grey Mr. Chubby), Happy the teddy bear (a gift from my best friend in Malaysia), a cheetah baby I got from South Africa, 2 black bears from Austria, and reindeer from Oslo. I will post a photo of them later on my travel page.
Anyway, during my latest trip to Italy in Dec. 2007, I took along Happy the teddy bear. You can see him here and also in the above photo with me overlooking Florence. Happy bear was given to me before the Millennium (year 2000); he is such an adorable furry little thing, always smiling and cheerful, which also makes me happy with I am travelling around.
I used to post a photo of my other traveling companion, Ms. Chubby the ginger-colored fat cat. But she looked so grumpy when traveling with me so I decided to leave her at home for now. :-)
I still have so many more places I want to see in the future. Here is my wish list:
- New York, New England and Florida, USA
- Greece (Athens, Santorini and other greek islands)
- Jordan and Lebonan
- Brussels, Belgium
- Peru and Argentina
- Brazil and Chile
- Croatia and Bulgaria
- Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane/Golden Coast & Great Barrier Reefs)
- Cyprus and Malta
- North Finland to see Northern Lights and Lapland
- Kenya and Zanzibar/Tanzania
- Senegal and Nabimia
- Hong Kong, Shanghai, China, and Taiwan
- Japan and South Korea
- Kyrgyzstan, Central Asia
- Sri Lanka and India
- Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia
- New Zealand
- Fiji and Hawaii
- Tunisia or Morocco
- Mikulov, Czech Republic - went in July 2011
- Porto, Portugal - went in June 2011
- Istria, Croatia - went in April 2011
- Grado, Italy - went in April 2011
- Singapore - went in January 2011 after 18-20 years absence!
- Cairo and Luxor, Egypt - went in October 2010
- Amsterdam, Netherlands - went in September 2010.
- Krakow, Poland --> I was there end of May 2010 to join the Euro VT Meet 2010;
- Lisbon, Portugal -> I was there end of May 2009 for personal holiday and to join the VT EuroMeeting 2009.
- Spain (Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla and Malaga) and Gibraltar -> I went in April 2009 and again to Madrid in June 2010
- Saigon, Vietnam -> I went in January 2009
- Phuket, Thailand (I've been to Bangkok!) --> I went in July 2008
- Dubai, UAE --> I went in Feb. 2008
- Cape Town & Johannesburg, South Africa --> I went in June 2007
- northern Norway (to see the fiords) --> I went in Sept. 2007
- Slovakia, Slovenia and Hungary --> I've visited Bratislava, Budapest and other surrounding towns on regular basis.
- California and Oregon states, USA --> went to University in Fresno, travelled to San Franscisco, Los Angeles and San Diego as student and also visited Portland, Oregon in the late 1980s++
I feel like I don't have enough time and money to cover them all. Sometimes, I'm overwhelmed with the helpless feelings that I will not meet my travel goals. Sometimes, I feel high with confidence that I could cover at least half on my list. But whatever I'm feeling at the time - or anytime - I tell myself that slowly, slowly, I will make it.
Most of all, I hope to meet new people and make new friends during my travels. Life is short and we should make the most of it. Meeting new people, especially nice friendly people, and sharing exciting adventures can make living so worthwhile.
I am humbled by the wonderful things I have seen and learnt throughout my travels around the places I have been, the people I have met, the cultures I have experienced and the adventures I have had. I hope when I grow too old to travel, I will proudly say that I have lived a rich and full life.
Do not just stay in your home (either your house, town/city, country, personal space, private shell/box, etc.). Go out and travel, see the world and understand this beautiful world of ours.
All contents (texts, images, etc.) of Longsanborn pages on this VT website are copyright ©Longsanborn. All rights expressly reserved.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 421 Reviews
- 1,182 Photos
- 16 Countries
- 39 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
- Commented on one of longsanborn's Vienna tips
- longsanborn and EuromeetKrakow2010 are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Not just at noon you can eat here! in The Hague Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Not just at noon you can eat here!"
updated their Personal Page "About LONGSANBORN"
- updated a The Hague Travel Page "MY NEW HOME AWAY FROM MY REAL HOME"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2010 in Krakow,..."
- Uploaded a Video to World
PhotosSee All Photos (1182)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 173 reviews, 436 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Amalfi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Piran Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos