"The Cultural Capital of the Yucatan" Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida by dek516

Mérida Travel Guide: 318 reviews and 628 photos

Merida

I can't say that I loved Merida, but I certainly liked it. The city has a lot of appeal, particularly the area around the main square (Plaza Grande). The square is tree-lined with benches and vendors galore. It's surrounded by old historical buildings, including a cathedral and the town hall. On Sundays, the streets around the square are closed off so that people can meander or bicycle around freely. Singers and dancers also take over the streets to perform.

The downsides to Merida are the stifling heat (plus 90 degrees Farenheit) in the spring and summer, and the busy, dirty, crowded streets away from the square. Still, anyone interested in Mexican culture should take a day or two to check Merida out.

• Pros:Historical buildings, beautiful square
  • Cons:Crowded dirty streets, the heat
  • Last visit to Mérida: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2008

• stamporama's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 5:25 AM

Hi Diana! I'll be in Merida next month so the fresh info you provided here will surely be helpful. Thanks a lot!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Great thorough page. Good job! I've never been to Mérida, but I always say I'll retire there (or in Kushing, Malaysia). I can't take this gray weather anymore. Keep building, and you'll be a top 1,000 in no time.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Hi, Diana! Thanx for your page! Greetings to Alexandria!

dek516