"Mount Vernon" Mount Vernon by dek516
Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 440 photos
One of the great draws of the East Coast of the US is its history. Mount Vernon, home of George Washington, is a prime example. Washington is arguably one of the most important figures in US history, serving as a general in the Revolutionary War against Britain and later becoming the 1st president of the United States. As president, Washington had the opportunity to become a monarch-like ruler. He did not abuse his power, however, and set the tone for future presidents.
At Mount Vernon, you can take a tour through Washington's rather modest mansion, view other preserved buildings, such as slave quarters, walk through the gardens, and see George and Martha's graves. Leave time to go through the visitor's center as well, which contains lots of information and artifacts relating to Washington.
Entry for adults is $13; fare is reduced for seniors and children. Leave at least 3 to 4 hours to see everything.
- Pros:A great place to learn about US History firsthand
George and his family were the lucky few at Mount Vernon to live in the comforts of the mansion; others, including... more travel advice
George Washington was, among other things, a farmer who grew crops and kept livestock on his grounds. Sheep, cows and... more travel advice
dek516's Related Pages
Mount Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of great farmer and the first US president !"
- "~Mount Vernon~"
- "George Washington Slept Here!"
- "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- "a Sunny day at mount Vernon"
- "Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation"
- "Mount Vernon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Vernon
- Hotels in Mount Vernon
- Transportation in Mount Vernon
- Restaurants in Mount Vernon
- Shopping in Mount Vernon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Vernon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Camalig Hotels
- Caribbean and Central America
- French Creek
- Salt Springs Hotels
- San Marcos Hotels
- Victorias Hotels
- Province of Nueva Ecija
- Province of North Cotabato
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Kampong Semariang Hotels
- Aglona Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon
- 12 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mount Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Vernon
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Mount Vernon Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Anaheim Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Mujeres Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos