"Big beer festival - besides Oktoberfest..." Top 5 Page for this destination Erlangen by chris.hh

Erlangen Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 62 photos

My friend from university she was from Erlangen, and at that time I did not know anything about that city - somewhere in the South of Germany, close to Nürnberg. Now my boyfriend has moved there - strange as thing are going and I meet my study colleague very often by now. And, Erlangen is worth a visit, as I have to admit... I am not that much of an insider yet but I am working on it...
Erlangen (little more than 100,000 inhabitants) has the second biggest universit in Bavaria, and offers many differnt subjects to study. So the university is together with the Siemens company the most important employer and of an economic importance. Because of 28,000 students and the Siemens’ employees there is a very mixed inhabitant structure in the Bavarian city, and Erlangen has a good restaurant and pub as well as cultural infrastructure. Going by bicycle is very common in Erlangen, with does not astonish for there are 180 km bicycle roads in and around Erlangen.
One important festival is the “Bergkirchweih” – or just in “Berg” in short. The biggest beer festival after the Munich Oktoberfest opens on Thursday before Whitsunday and lasts for twelve days. Many insiders appreciate this festival more than Oktoberfest because there are far less tourists. I will check it this year, and I wil get to taste many good Bavarian beers. Most of them taste very good. I have to watch my friend. He is not a real slender person... And beer helps him to hold his weight (as he says - grrrrr!).

Offical website: www.erlangen.de

• Intro Updated Mar 26, 2009

chris.hh

“The Way is the Destination”

Badges & Stats in Erlangen

Have you been to Erlangen?