"Welcome to Winnie's Homepage!" winnietankl's Profile
I am Winnie from Penang, West Malaysia. Penang, known as the `Pearl of the Orient', is one of Malaysia's better known tourist destinations, appreciated for its diverse collection of old world architecture, colourful nature attractions and plethora of delightful flavours.
Located 112km south of langkawi, the state consists of the island and a strip of land covering 760 sq km. on the mainland known as Province Wellesley. The mainland itself is a developing industrial area and acts as a gateway to neighbouring states. It is connected to the island by ferry service and the 13.5km Penang Bridge consider the 3rd longest bridge in the world.
Penang Island is the heartbeat of the state's tourism. The island's northern coast boasts of beautiful beaches and exciting nightlife. Penang is also a food paradise; a visitor need not look any further than around the corner to savour the mouth-watering fares of its multi-culture.
On the southern side of the island lie the bustling township of Bayan Baru and the Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone where many multinational and local manufacturing companies are located.
Georgetown (the capital of Penang), named after the Prince of Wales, is an old town with undertones of a modern city. It has its share of modern structures like Komtar-a 65 storey office and shopping complex. However it is `old architecture' that gives George Town her unique charm.
Penang's historic buildings like City Hall, Chinese Clans, Kapitan Kling Mosque, the Goddess of Mercy Temple, Mahamariamman Temple and the St. Georges Church, these are reminders of Penang's harmonious multi-cultural heritage.
The coastal road north of Georgetown undoubtedly offers the best beaches in Penang. The 3 beaches; Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang, are where dozens of world-class resorts, dinning, entertainment and watersports facilities can be found.
Tanjung Bungah is closes to town, 10 minutes drive from Gurney Drive and major shopping centres. Further west comes Batu Ferringhi, the most famous of Penang's beaches with several hotels along its shoreline. Teluk Bahang offers a more laidback atmosphere with its lush interior and secluded coves. The Butterfly Farm, the world's first live butterfly sanctuary, and the 100 acre Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve, are located nearby.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 64 Reviews
- 316 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Commented on aussirose's profile page
- winnietankl and blueskyjohn are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "VT meets-Part 2"
- Uploaded a Photo to "VT meets-Part 2"
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: Dubai Currency"
- Wrote a Review Ideal hotel for travelers in Phnom Penh Hotels
- created a Queenstown Travel Page "Queenstown"
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 76 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos
- Krabi Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Phuket Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Sydney Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Chicago Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Kanchanaburi 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Bali 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Milford Sound 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22145 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos