"Kalavrita, a small village on the Peloponnesos" Kalavrita by ardnas67
Kalavrita Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 68 photos
In the Greek mountains of the Pelloponessis, a little village is hidden.
The clock of the church stands still on 2.34 since december 13 1943.
On that devastating day 1430 men older than 15 were killed on a mountain near the village. The German-nazi's thought the citizens of Kalavrita had helped the resistance fighters on a battle that killed 80 German soldiers.
After killing the men, the women and children were captured in a school. The houses were set on fire, and also the school. A few women could escape.
On the church is a beautiful poem:
the hour of destruction
left a scar on time
the silencent clock
will always read
disaster and dead
blood, fire and pain
at the exact hour
when the lament began
december 13, 1943
with a rack railway of 22 km. long you start in Diakofto and end in Kalavrita. It takes about an hour and than the train has bring you 700 metres higher. Going along the river Vouraikos. The rack railway goes through the Vouraikos Gorge, and halfway you can stop in Zachlorou, from were you can walk to the monastry Méga Spileo.
We didn't do because of the heavy backpack.
- Pros:beautiful, impressive
ardnas67's Related Pages
Kalavrita Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The historical region of Kalavrita"
- "E/\EY8EPIA H 8ANATOS!!!"
- "the beauty of kalavryta"
- "Kalavrita, a place with great history"
- "Kalavrita, a small village on the Peloponnesos"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalavrita
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kalavrita?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalavrita
Photos in KalavritaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chania Intro, 9 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoorn Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Heerhugowaard Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Texel Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Nieuwe-Niedorp Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Southampton Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kissamos Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Querença Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paderne Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Netherlands 6 reviews, 9 photos