"A cosy little town" Helsingør by Joacim
Helsingør Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 441 photos
Helsingør [hɛlseˈŋøɐ̯ˀ], also known by its English name Elsinore, is a city in Helsingør municipality on the northeast coast of the island of Zealand (Sjælland) in eastern Denmark. It is known internationally as the setting of William Shakespeare's Hamlet, where the spelling 'Elsinore' originated.
The name is derived from *Hals meaning "neck" and thus here also "narrow strait", i.e. the narrow strait (Øresund) between what is now Helsingør and Helsingborg. The Rerum Danicarum Historica (1631) claims that the history of Helsingør can be traced back to 70 BC, but this information is highly dubious. The people were mentioned, as Helsinger, for the first time in King Valdemar the Victorious's book from 1231 (but they should not be confused with the Helsings of Hälsingland in Sweden). These two placenames show that the Helsinger may have had their main fort at Helsingborg and a fortified landing place at Helsingør, to control the ferry route across the strait.
Before the Middle Ages Helsingør was just a marketplace where people sold goods. About 1200 AD the first church, Sct Olai Church, was built. A number of convents once surrounded the church, but now all that remains is the church building, today the cathedral of the Diocese of Helsingør.
Helsingør as we know it today was founded in the 1420s by the Danish king Eric of Pomerania. He established the Sound Dues in 1429 and built the castle 'Krogen', which was made bigger in the 1580s and named Kronborg. The oldest parts of the cathedral of Helsingør date back to the 1200s and tell us that the fishermen's village, as Helsingør was then, was a town of a certain importance. At least, there have always been some form of ferryboats crossing between Helsingør and Helsingborg.
Helsingör is a very busy city with a lot of transit passangers. The transit is due to the fact that it is a very popular... more travel advice
Joacim's Related Pages
Helsingør Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helsingør, Hamlet's little Hometown"
- "To be or not to be"
- "Helsingor and Hamlets Castle"
- "HELSINGOR OR ELSINOR"
- "Helsingor or Elsinore"
- "Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingør
- Hotels in Helsingør
- Transportation in Helsingør
- Nightlife in Helsingør
- Restaurants in Helsingør
- Shopping in Helsingør
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingør
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Helsingør
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Helsingør?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingør
Photos in HelsingørSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Göteborg Intro, 50 reviews, 198 photos
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 69 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Mora Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- La Playa de Arguineguín Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Fredriksberg Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Helsingborg Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos