"Am I lost or what?" Garberville by bpwarne
Garberville Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
Garberville is a bit of a strange place. One main drag runs through the four or so blocks comprising the bulk of the town, paralleling highway US 101. There are no stop lights in town, heck , there's only one stop sign on the main drag. One grocery store, one health food store, one hardware/lumber store, one auto parts store, one...well, you get picture. There are numerous eateries, almost all of no real distinction and more gas stations than seems fathomable for a town this size...four in total, all four consistently charging the exact same price, to the penny, and consistently among the absolute highest prices in all of California, for no apparent reason.
Garberville seems full of 'colorful characters'...or, at least, locals seemingly trying very hard to be 'colorful characters'. A favorite pastime of many locals appears to be dressing in vintage 1960-70 clothing and parading around town, I assume to draw attention to themselves.
Protesting is a favorite activity in Humboldt County and Fridays always draw a crowd, (albeit a very small crowd) of people to a popular location in downtown Garberville for the weekly demonstration. Just look for the crosswalk on the main drag, cant miss it, there are only two and it is the one without the stop sign. Humboldt people love to protest, I sometimes think they would even protest thier mother's right to have given birth to them. Oops...I may have just started a new movement here.
More to come, but my mind wanders....
- Pros:As there are no stop lights, you can get out of town quickly
- Cons:You could live in this area 15 years and still not feel welcome in this town
- In a nutshell:People are strange, when you're a stranger...
bpwarne's Related Pages
Garberville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yubert's Lost Coast Adventure"
- "Am I lost or what?"
- "Valley of The Giants - Road Trip Day 4"
- See All...
- Hotels in Garberville
- Restaurants in Garberville
- Warnings and Dangers in Garberville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Garberville
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Garberville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Garberville
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nha Trang Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reno Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shelter Cove Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yangshuo Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oswiecim Intro, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues