"Shantytown by the sea" Dominical by bpwarne
Dominical Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 26 photos
Much of this surf town is just surfed out. Pretty well worn and tired looking. There are a couple of decent places to eat and fewer decent places to stay at reasonable (Costa Rica) prices. The beach is pretty but full of ATV's and bikes. It is much like a neglected 'Spring Break' place you might find in Baja California. There are some really nice upscale B&B style places to stay south of town on the hillside area of Escaleras (see our review in the tips section, below), many require a 4x4 in bad weather though. There is a nice espresso cafe on the right as you turn into the downtown area. Espresso is very good by CR standards, average by west coast US standards. Dominical is very highly overrated in most respects, not a destination place unless you surf or like doing donuts on the beach with your ATV. We failed to see the attraction as a 'major ' developing retirement area for expats. While there are some drop dead gorgeous views up in the surrounding hillsides, it is getting very pricey for where it is.
Dont miss the great farmers market at the north end of town, right on the main highway atthe intersection of the road to San Isidro El General. Really great selection of fruits and vegetables, the tomatoes especially are enormous. The road south is excellent, maybe the best in all of CR. The road north to Quepos is dirt, rather boring and will rattle your teeth right out of your head for about 2-3hours. The little town of Matapalo, about halfway to Quepos has numerous accomodations, some quite nice with a nice looking beach which we heard is not the safest for swimming. We stayed there one night passing through but can not remember the name of the inn. The road east, uphill to San Isidro El General is paved, good condition, very scenic country drive.
bpwarne's Related Pages
Dominical Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Days in Dominical"
- "Pura Vida!"
- "It's great the way it is..."
- "Dominical, Costa Rica"
- "Shantytown by the sea"
- "A wonderful relaxing time in Dominical"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominical
- Hotels in Dominical
- Transportation in Dominical
- Restaurants in Dominical
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominical
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominical
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Dominical?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominical
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nha Trang Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reno Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shelter Cove Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yangshuo Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oswiecim Intro, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues