"Not At All What I Expected, Twice." Phu Quoc by bpwarne

Phu Quoc Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 297 photos

Vietnam's Up and Coming Beach Destination?

First Visit: February, 2010

I had heard about Phu Quoc. I had heard it mentioned whenever beach destinations in Vietnam were discussed. You should go to Phu Quoc. You must go to Phu Quoc. Phu Quoc is THE up and coming beach destination in Vietnam. There is much development going on on Phu Quoc. Phu Quoc is an island, located south of the Delta. That alone, Phu Quoc being an island, reachable only by air (well, not entirely true, but from a practical standpoint...yes) made it sound more romantic, more adventurous, more of an escape from everyday life than Nha Trang, China Beach or any of the other popular resorts Vietnam has to offer. I had even heard that Phu Quoc was the only place in Vietnam where foreigners were allowed to hold land, an enticement dealt out by the government to encourage development and enhancement of the island as a top resort destination as quickly as possible. Strangely though, for all the talk I had heard of Phu Quoc over the years, I had never met anyone who had actually been there. A further enticement for me to get there as quickly as possible.
What I found upon arrival was a very small beach area called Long Beach with very little major development either completed or even underway. Full of small little mom and pop type resorts, smack on the beach, many with individual small bungalows in a very peaceful setting.

Second Visit, March, 2012

I returned with Patty to Phu Quoc Island in March of 2012, hoping to show her the tranquil setting I had discovered on my prior visit.
What we found were beaches littered with garbage, so much garbage on some beaches on some days that it actually made us quite angry at the locals I am totally disgusted by this absolute disrespect of their environment. I can not r recommend Phu Quoc Island as a vacation spot. My advice is to go elsewhere, best bet in SE Asia would be the beaches on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand.

• Pros:Cheap accomodations, nice beaches
  • Cons:If you're looking for upscale, this is not the place.
  • In a nutshell:Phu Quoc is a place you must visit....soon!
  • Last visit to Phu Quoc: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Why did we come here?.....”

Badges & Stats in Phu Quoc

Have you been to Phu Quoc?

Latest Activity in Phu Quoc