"Accidental Tourist" Udon Thani by bpwarne
Udon Thani Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 173 photos
My decision to stop over in Udon Thani came as a last minute one. I needed to get to Bangkok from Vientianne and decided to take a bus into Udon Thani and fly from there to Bangkok on Thai Airways as it was much cheaper than flying from Vientianne to BKK. I had had enough with Laos and Vientiane in particular, a rather boring city to my mind and decided to go early and spend a couple days in Udon Thani, thinking anything's got to be better than Vientiane. It was.
Udon Thani is such a pleasant, low key city that within hours I was feeling right at home. Not much to do or see here in the way of tourist attractions and so I almost immediately felt unhurried, relaxed.
People were friendly here, a bus dispatcher went to great lengths to help me find my way to my hotel, The Englishman's Retreat, by locating a map and relaying the location to my non English speaking tuk tuk driver.
More to come soon.....
www.udonmap.com is a great place to find info on the area. Forum, hotel info/links, dining info, classifieds, maps, etc.
- Pros:Not a tourist destination
- Cons:Hot, hot, hot!
- In a nutshell:Gives you a good image of what low key expat life in Thailand could be like.
I stayed at this hotel in April 2008. I paid about $20 USD total. My suite had a sitting room w/TV, many English... more travel advice
bpwarne's Related Pages
Udon Thani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Udonthani,modern city with feeling of old time"
- "World's Most Elaborate Truck Stop"
- "Visit Ban Chiang from Udon Thani"
- "Udon Thani"
- "Ever Bustling Udon Thani"
- "An Afternoon in Udon Thani..."
- "Accidental Tourist"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Udon Thani
- Hotels in Udon Thani
- Transportation in Udon Thani
- Nightlife in Udon Thani
- Restaurants in Udon Thani
- Shopping in Udon Thani
- Warnings and Dangers in Udon Thani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Udon Thani
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Udon Thani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Udon Thani
Photos in Udon ThaniSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nha Trang Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reno Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shelter Cove Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yangshuo Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oswiecim Intro, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues