"Accidental Tourist" Udon Thani by bpwarne

Udon Thani Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 173 photos

Certainly not a tourist destination...yet.

My decision to stop over in Udon Thani came as a last minute one. I needed to get to Bangkok from Vientianne and decided to take a bus into Udon Thani and fly from there to Bangkok on Thai Airways as it was much cheaper than flying from Vientianne to BKK. I had had enough with Laos and Vientiane in particular, a rather boring city to my mind and decided to go early and spend a couple days in Udon Thani, thinking anything's got to be better than Vientiane. It was.

Udon Thani is such a pleasant, low key city that within hours I was feeling right at home. Not much to do or see here in the way of tourist attractions and so I almost immediately felt unhurried, relaxed.

People were friendly here, a bus dispatcher went to great lengths to help me find my way to my hotel, The Englishman's Retreat, by locating a map and relaying the location to my non English speaking tuk tuk driver.
More to come soon.....

Going to Udon Thani ?

www.udonmap.com is a great place to find info on the area. Forum, hotel info/links, dining info, classifieds, maps, etc.

• Pros:Not a tourist destination
  • Cons:Hot, hot, hot!
  • In a nutshell:Gives you a good image of what low key expat life in Thailand could be like.
  • Last visit to Udon Thani: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2008

Comments

bpwarne

“Why did we come here?.....”

Badges & Stats in Udon Thani

Have you been to Udon Thani?

Latest Activity in Udon Thani