"A hard place to get to, not much to do once here" Kampot by bpwarne

Kampot Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos

Kampot really is the middle of nowhere

I was planning on spending a couple of nights in Kampot on my way to Kep from Sihanoukville. After a fairly easy 2 hour minibus (think van) ride on very good roads by SE Asia standards, (one 10 minute exception), I could really find no reason to spend more than a brief afternoon here before hiring a tuk tuk and continuing on to Kep.
Yes there are eateries, yes there are massage parlors, yes there is cheap beer and yes a river runs through it, though not particularly attractive and with no evident activity upon it.
I suppose going up river a few clicks and staying at one of the so called 'eco' lodges may be a bit of an adventure but the town itself lacks anything unique to hold one's interest for more than a very short time.
There are few, if any, of what I would call mid-range for Asia hotels. Everything is $40 and up or under $10.
The Tuk tuk ride to Kep is pleasant enough once you get about 5 kilometers out of town. I was happy to pay a negotiated $8 USD for a one way trip out of town as opposed to waiting til morning and taking the $3 van (which you can be certain will not have A/C, even though advertised as such)

Oops! I've been Kampotted!

Ever had the thought: What the hell was I thinking?
Well, that's Kampot!
Seriously, I'm sure there are those who will love the place, if for no other reason than it took so much effort to get here!

• Pros:Well, i'll think about it some more, must be some.
  • Cons:Why bother? Stay on the bus to Kep
  • In a nutshell:???....hmmm....well,....hmmm......
  • Last visit to Kampot: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2012

Comments

bpwarne

“Why did we come here?.....”

Badges & Stats in Kampot