"A hard place to get to, not much to do once here" Kampot by bpwarne
Kampot Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos
I was planning on spending a couple of nights in Kampot on my way to Kep from Sihanoukville. After a fairly easy 2 hour minibus (think van) ride on very good roads by SE Asia standards, (one 10 minute exception), I could really find no reason to spend more than a brief afternoon here before hiring a tuk tuk and continuing on to Kep.
Yes there are eateries, yes there are massage parlors, yes there is cheap beer and yes a river runs through it, though not particularly attractive and with no evident activity upon it.
I suppose going up river a few clicks and staying at one of the so called 'eco' lodges may be a bit of an adventure but the town itself lacks anything unique to hold one's interest for more than a very short time.
There are few, if any, of what I would call mid-range for Asia hotels. Everything is $40 and up or under $10.
The Tuk tuk ride to Kep is pleasant enough once you get about 5 kilometers out of town. I was happy to pay a negotiated $8 USD for a one way trip out of town as opposed to waiting til morning and taking the $3 van (which you can be certain will not have A/C, even though advertised as such)
Ever had the thought: What the hell was I thinking?
Well, that's Kampot!
Seriously, I'm sure there are those who will love the place, if for no other reason than it took so much effort to get here!
- Pros:Well, i'll think about it some more, must be some.
- Cons:Why bother? Stay on the bus to Kep
- In a nutshell:???....hmmm....well,....hmmm......
bpwarne's Related Pages
Kampot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "chill out in Kampot"
- "A day in Kampot"
- "Bokor Mountain Tour"
- "A hard place to get to, not much to do once here"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampot
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kampot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampot
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nha Trang Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reno Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sapa Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shelter Cove Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yangshuo Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oswiecim Intro, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Kampot hotel reviews
- 322 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013