"Monte Gordo - away from Algarve's tourist traps" Monte Gordo by WanderingFinn

Monte Gordo Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos

Monte Gordo is a small place near Spanish border

When we chose the place to stay in Algarve, we did not want to go to the Albufeira area where nearly everything is only for tourists, some streets are full of drunken foreigners all night long every night, there is a lot of noise. Also daytime those areas and beaches are full of tourists. For me it is nothing original and that is what I am looking for and not other tourists.

Monte Gordo is located in the south-eastern part of Portugal, just a couple of kilometres from the Spanish border. With a rental car you can see many really lovely small real original fishermen villages and beautiful houses. Monte Gordo is good "base" to do many things.

There are many small (ex) fisherman villages and small towns which have their original feeling left. Some of them are the most beautiful towns of whole Algarve. I recommend to rent a car.

Monte Gordo is beautiful and peaceful

Monte Gordo was beautiful with its palm trees and beaches. Though I have to admit the majority of the restaurant area was a tourist trap and I was a little disappointed. Then we found one street nearer the sea, that was more for nightlife. There were both tourists but mainly local people.

The beaches

The hotel area beaches of Monte Gordo were nice too, but for us there were too many tourists. Luckily we had a car, and luckily we had studied the Internet beforehand well enough and remembered to go and find one or two other beaches with are more for locals and even much more beautiful and peaceful. (Please see my tip "What to do" - "Beaches") for some great pictures.

• Pros:Small place, not a party place, a few kms to Spain, other better beaches within few kms
  • Cons:Hotel area beach quite touristic, restaurant area a tourist trap - no locals
  • In a nutshell:A cosy little town near the Spanish border
  • Last visit to Monte Gordo: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2007

Comments

WanderingFinn

“Carpe Diem! Never judge the book by the cover!”

Badges & Stats in Monte Gordo

Have you been to Monte Gordo?