"Olhao; one of the last functioning fishermen towns" Olhão by WanderingFinn
Olhão Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 144 photos
Olhao is said to be one of the last real remaining fisherman village, where fishing is the main means of earning your living. There are lots of fishing boats and the harbour is big.
Naturally, in Olhao you can find restarants offering the famous charcoal grilled sardines almost in every place. The fish is perhaps the freshest I have eaten in Portugal. The prices in typical local small restaurants are very reasonable.
We were unlucky to arrive a little bit too late - the fish market had closed its doors already. It is in the red big complex of buildings behind me. It is said to be famous for its fresh seafood and fish products of many kind.
Olhao is not just about fish - there is a nice riverside and a nice downtown too. A nice place to find a place for ice cream, coffee or beer. Also, unbeliavably nice houses and architecture. Please see the really nice buildings and architecture of Olhao in my "What to do" of Olhao pages.
- Pros:Original, still functioning fisherman village, not changed for the tourism, great FRESH fish and other seafood
- Cons:Not a place to spend a week (nothing to do).
- In a nutshell:FRESH fish and beautiful houses, nice scenic riverside
WanderingFinn's Related Pages
Olhão Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fish market town"
- "Olhão - largest fishing port in the Algarve"
- "Photos from Olhao"
- "Olhao; one of the last functioning fishermen towns"
- "Welcome to OLHAO"
- "local fishermen village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olhão
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Olhão?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olhão
Photos in OlhãoSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Minsk 13 reviews, 60 photos
- Rome 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos
- Dublin 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Marmaris 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Los Angeles 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Alanya 12 reviews, 33 photos
- Vilnius 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Bucharest 8 reviews, 28 photos