"A town and lighthouse" Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta by sirgaw

Augusta Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 96 photos

I was lucky with the lead photo: I was fortunate enough to visit on the same day that a volunteer from the lighthouse at Cape Leeuwin dons his wet suit and swims out with a bucket of paint and a paint brush to paint a line on the water showing the demarcation line between the Indian Ocean on the right and the Southern Ocean on the left. That red lines stays visible for a day or so and then disappears with the actions of the waves and currents. I'm reliably informed that they used to have large floating signs in the water which showed tourists the names of the 2 oceans, but they were both carried away in a storm and were last seen heading to Antarctica.

Augusta is the end of the line and the next land fall is Antarctica or Africa and both many thousands of kilometres away. Its a quiet town nestled around a spectacular inlet, where we saw a pod of 3 dolphins doing whatever dolphins do (catching fish and playing I think) and that was only about 15 metres away from us. We even saw one of the trio leap out of the water.

Its a pleasant drive to Augusta from Margaret River and part through vineyards and part through the forests of Karri trees. There was even a property name "Karri On," which we thought was a great play on words.

Our main reason for journeying to Augusta was to visit the spectacular Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse. Said to be the tallest lighthouse in Australia it is well worth a visit. Off course hunger overtook us and so the Augusta Bakery and Cafe provided us with a great lunch twice. (we visited the nearby Jewell cave a few days later - see my Margaret River page for details). We also visited the famous fish and chip shop where we think the guy behind the counter was having a bad hair day, so we only had take away coffee.

Augusta is a quiet town with a spectacular setting and seems to have all that is required for a place to stay - a few shops, a small supermarket, a pub and for the caravaners - a caravan and camping site. It's also a fisherpersons's paradise. So if you're that way inclined, either bring your own boat or there are alternatives along the inlet. I'd like to re-visit and stay at least one night in the town or maybe at a quaint B&B and best with an ocean or inlet view.

• Last visit to Augusta: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 1, 2009

sirgaw

“"How can I have a favourite place when I haven't seen them all?"”

Badges & Stats in Augusta

Have you been to Augusta?

Latest Activity in Augusta