"Entrance to Litchfield National Park" Batchelor by sirgaw
Batchelor Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 53 photos
Formally known as the community of Rum Jungle, the small town of Batchelor is home to the Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education and I wish them well in the task of providing education and therefore a real chance for employment opportunities for Indigenous Australians. Batchelor is also the gateway to the famous Litchfield National Park located 120 km from Darwin (approx 1.5 hours from Darwin CBD allowing for traffic). We wanted to visit the park on our return trip to Darwin and decided it was easier staying in Batchelor rather than backtracking to/from Darwin.
From one web site: "Batchelor is a small outback town, so please be aware you will not find shopping malls and a large choice here.The town does not have a pharmacy and guests need to ensure they bring with them adequate regular medication. Urgent medication may be available from the medical centre but may have to be sent from Darwin." Visiting Google Earth I discovered that the runway used by the NT gliding club at the local airfield is longer then the widest part of the town.
We stayed at the Batchelor Butterfly Farm, which has home stay and cabin accommodation - I'll say it was a 'different' place to stay. Evening meal was from the Rum Jungle Tavern and makings for lunch and fuel was sourced from the towns general store. We also visited the public toilets and I was very impressed with the exterior - LOL.
The park was interesting and I would have loved to spend more time in the surroundings of the park that in some ways had more to offer than the fabled Kakadu National Park.
I'm not altogether sure that I would return to Batchelor as it really does not have a lot to offer other than the national park.
More to come and tip(s) on Litchfield
- Pros:Litchfield National Park
- In a nutshell:Too small and very expensive.
Tip posted on both Darwin and Batchelor ‘things to do’ The only other part of Litchfield that we explored was the... more travel advice
Although the sign above was photoed at Litchfield National Park, the warning is relevant for all other area of Northern... more travel advice
sirgaw's Related Pages
Batchelor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Entrance to Litchfield National Park"
- "BATCHELOR FAR NORTHERN TERRITORY"
- "Batchelor - Northern Territory"
- "Batchelor was a WW2 Air Force base."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batchelor
- Hotels in Batchelor
- Restaurants in Batchelor
- Warnings and Dangers in Batchelor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Batchelor
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Batchelor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batchelor
Photos in BatchelorSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 36 reviews, 114 photos
- Hobart Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Shi Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos
- Darwin Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos
- Launceston Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos
- Sydney Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cooktown Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrave Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues