"Cairns for beginners" Cairns by sirgaw
Cairns Travel Guide: 895 reviews and 2,392 photos
Underlined = tips
Cairns is very well situated for overseas visitors to experience the tropics of our vast country. Cairns is the gateway to the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree tropical wilderness and so much more. The Cairns International Airport has direct overseas flights to/from a number of major hub destinations and allows Cairns to be entry or exit point for Australia (Check Cairns Airport for more details), as well as service to most major Australian domestic airports.
If you really want information on Cairns and district, can I strongly suggest a visit to VT member tropicrd, better known as Dorrise, who will be more than happy to help you out.
We arrived late afternoon and after a quick taxi trip checked into Inn Cairns and found we had lucked in on a great accommodation provider, although the area was a bit feral at night, it was very well located only a short walk to The Esplanade where we ate twice. In the opposite direction is the Cairns Central Shopping Centre, where the Kuranda Scenic Railway is located ? and that was the real reason for our visit to Cairns - that scenic railway.
We walked to the Cairns Central Shopping Centre, paid for our pre-booked rail tickets, had a snack and saw a large café style umbrella with an obvious typo ? of course I had to poke fun at this on Be very careful what you eat!! and then did a bit of supermarket shopping. We dined cheap that night at the Cairns Night Market where it was cheap, cheerful and very noisy, but fun.
The following day we started the day late and then explored as much of the Cairns city area that appealed ? and that included walking to the nearby Marlin Wharf where there are some very expensive looking boats. The Esplanade and the man made lagoon are well-worth visiting. It seems there is no safe swimming beach (marine stingers are a problem ? see Be VERY careful when swimming) at Cairns, so The Lagoon with its fish sculptures is where locals and visitors flock for a cooling swim. We found a great place for anything that WAS alive at Oceana Walk Leather. That night again we headed down to The Esplanade and found Spicy Bite for great food at reasonable prices.
The next day was fully taken up with the famous Kuranda Scenic Railway. We enjoyed the train and Bird World at Kuranda, but found the town too touristy and the locals quite surly, Seems the town runs on almost a tidal pattern and all traders are aware when the next train is due in and the expected ebb and flow of tourists through the town?s main street.
We returned to the beautiful station and surrounds, boarded the train and noticed features that we?d missed on the upward journey.
From the little we saw of it, Cairns is a pleasant city and I?d like to return one day and explore other areas.
About the photos:
1. Expensive boats and hotel area as seen from The Marlin Wharf, where the big boys go fishing.
2. Fish sculptures at The Lagoon, a safe man-made beach and pool.
3. This is a Strangler Fig tree and I really don?t want one at my place thank you.
- Pros:Great place to start the tropics trip
- Cons:Too hot and humid in Summer
- In a nutshell:A great gateway to the tropics of Australia
Although the first photo of the sign was taken in Palm Cove on a brief stop there, the second photo was taken at the... more travel advice
As I?m a volunteer conductor on Melbourne?s iconic Puffing Billy Railway, it was compulsory that I ride and enjoy the... more travel advice
sirgaw's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "Cairns in the Far North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 9 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 34 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
- Posted in Travel Cairns Forum "Re: Great Barrier Reef - base..."
- updated a Cairns Travel Page "Cairns for beginners"
- Commented on one of sirgaw's Cairns tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cairns for beginners"
- Wrote a Review Be VERY careful when swimming in Cairns Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Video to Cairns
Photos in CairnsSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 36 reviews, 114 photos
- Hobart Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Shi Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos
- Darwin Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos
- Launceston Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos
- Sydney Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cooktown Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrave Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues