Melbourne Tourist Trap Tips by sirgaw
Melbourne Tourist Traps: 36 reviews and 20 photos
One of the most perplexing things about Melbourne is our unique "Hook Turns." Until about 15 years ago there were only 5 hook turn intersections and all in the central business district, but be warned as there has been a population explosion of those dreaded turns and some could even find their way to an intersection near you (could almost be an export income earner for the city).
The first thing to look for is the distinctive sign (see photo) placed before an intersection and in the intersection usually hanging from the tram wires - and there is the reason for these turns; to keep the intersections clear so the trams are not held up by those who want to right turn. Some say the tram drivers take no prisoners and just go straight through anything in their path.
Below is a web link to an animated on-line instruction on how to use our crazy turns, but here's my version:
1. Approach intersection from LEFT lane with right blinker flashing
3. Proceed into intersection and stay as close as you can to the white pedestrian zone line without hitting too many pedestrians.
4. Wipe perspiration from brow and hands - particularly hands as you don't want the steering wheel to slip from your white-knuckle grasp.
5. Just before reaching the furtherest point in the intersection and without hitting any pedestrians or traffic lights, hard turn to the right so your vehicle starts to turn.
6. Stop as close as you can to facing traffic light.
7. Take 5 Valiums
8. When traffic light facing you turns red complete turn BUT check to make sure that no-one - and in particular trams and taxis - has run the red light.
9. Take off as quickly as you can and before you get run down by traffic going in the same direction of travel.
10. Pull over as soon as possible and clean up mess under and on seat.
Suggest you might like to practice several times on a quiet day before attempting in peak periods. Warning, it takes some people 1,000 attempts to get the turn correct and almost never for volvo drivers.
Melbourne's Hook Turns
It was a night to behold - the 1st December 2008 - when Melbourne (and southern Australia) witnessed a strange sight - a large "smiley" appeared from the heavens ☺☻. The unusual astronomical event occurred when Venus, Jupiter and a three-day-old crescent Moon nearly "aligned" to form the face over our city.
OK so why is this a tourist trap? Well people were craning their necks to see and without looking where they were going, crashed into light poles, traffic signs, other people and cars.
So it is strongly suggested that the next "smiley" event ☺which is expected to be in another 5 years, that you avoid this city and go somewhere else for the night - ouch, who just bumped into me? ☻
The 2 photos of the event were taken about 1 hour apart.
Other than that, can I say ♥ u ☺
More Reviews (33)
- See All MYKI VISITOR CARDS
- See All Gothic Bank, former Stock Exchange...
- See All - magnificent HIGH TEA
- See All City Circle FREE Tram
- Aussie Beef Burgers
sirgaw's Related Pages
Melbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wherever I Lay My Hat - That's My Home"
- "Melbourne - Our Home for 2005 and 2006"
- "IMPREXXION: MELBOURNE"
- "Melbourne is a Dive"
- "Sweetberry's "Melbourne Page""
- "Melbourne - The Place to Be"
- "Melbourne - My Second Home !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melbourne
- Hotels in Melbourne
- Transportation in Melbourne
- Nightlife in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Warnings and Dangers in Melbourne
- See All...
Explore the World
- Trostre Hotels
- Pathankot Hotels
- Lakefront Hotels
- Halls Gap
- Woodbridge Hotels
Badges & Stats in Melbourne
- 35 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 326 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Melbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melbourne
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The most-asked questions?"
- Wrote a Review MYKI VISITOR CARDS in Melbourne Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "MYKI VISITOR CARDS"
- updated a Melbourne Travel Page "My view of MELBOURNE"
- Uploaded a Video to Melbourne
- Commented on one of tracyskf's Melbourne travel pages
Photos in MelbourneSee All Photos (105)
Videos in MelbourneSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos
- Darwin Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos
- Sydney Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Cooktown Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrave Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River Intro, 13 reviews, 33 photos
- Cairns Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Latest Melbourne hotel reviews
- Citiclub Hotel
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Big 4 Ashley Gardens
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Quest on Redan
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013
- The Nunnery
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Discovery
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Elephant Backpackers
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
- 401 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Quest on Bourke
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Bayview Eden
- 200 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Best Western Jika International
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 27, 2013
- The Melbourne Connection
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Birches Serviced Apartments
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2013
- Olembia Guesthouse
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Docklands Prestige Apartments Melbourne
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Airport Motel & Convention Centre
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Great Ocean Road- 108 Reviews, 199 Photos
- Queen Victoria Market- 44 Reviews, 56 Photos
- St. Kilda- 61 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Rialto Tower- 38 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Dandenong Ranges- 29 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Phillip Island- 38 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Zoo- 26 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Yarra River- 26 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Brighton Beach- 4 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Crown Casino- 25 Reviews, 25 Photos
See All Melbourne Things to Do