"Pine Creek and The Ghan" Pine Creek by sirgaw

Pine Creek Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 147 photos

In our planning for our trip to NT, I was hoping to get a video of The Ghan from the ground as it passed. With more than a bit of experience with trains, I know it is almost impossible to get good photos of the exterior of a train as it passes a point from the interior of the train - this might sound a bit 'double-Dutch' (sorry Dutch people, its an expression). After consulting maps and The Ghan timetable and our own schedule, I decided the only place I could video a speeding The Ghan was in the small town of Pine Creek - midway between Adelaide River and Katherine.

The Ghan does not stop at the town, so I contacted GSR to get a suggested time for the train's passing through the town.

After we left Kakadu National Park we travelled through Pine Creek on our way to Katherine and a chance to 'check out' a possible location for the all important video - as shown in the main photo for the town.

Sadly the plans of mice and men - yes even train buffs - do go astray and all is revealed in 'Pi**ed Off Sir and Lady Gaw' a tourist trap.

We did get to see a bit more of the town than we had anticipated and a great experience it was - despite my disappointment.

• Pros:TRAINS old and new
  • Cons:More than a little laid back
  • In a nutshell:Ummmmmm, what time is that train due.
  • Last visit to Pine Creek: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2012

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I'm greatly enjoying this unfolding saga, David ... the serialised nature of this tale makes me think of how Dickens novels were first published, with the added extra dimension of some salty (if asterisked) language thrown in for good measure ... ;).
    Did the Ghan live up to your expectations (since I presume that this is the trip you got the bargain basement special on)?

sirgaw

“"How can I have a favourite place when I haven't seen them all?"”

Badges & Stats in Pine Creek

Have you been to Pine Creek?

Latest Activity in Pine Creek