"Paradise for some" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas by sirgaw

Port Douglas Travel Guide: 227 reviews and 586 photos

Underlined = tip or write up - see below.

Have you ever heard the story of the man who went home after a long day in the office? His wife met him with a kiss and then asked, “How was the rat race today dear?” He replied with, “The rats seem to be wining,” and so they are. The trouble with Port Douglas is that it is infested with rats – no not the animal kind, but rather humans. Sadly Port Douglas was converted from a sleepy fishing village into a modern day Mecca for the rich and famous – and those who pretend they are. As we walked around, we didn’t see the rich and famous – not that I would have cared - but we saw many who are pretending to be in the big league. I should say that there are many locals and visitors we met who are great, sadly those Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane ‘rats’ spoilt it for us.

Outside one of the really expensive restaurants (Port Douglas has some of the dearest and most exclusive restaurants in Australia), was a photo of Bill and Hillary Clinton with the owner of the up-market eatery. Good one-upmanship (really one-upwomanship) when gathering with friends – “We dined where Bill and Hillary dine!” “Bill and Hillary who?” “Bill and Hillary CLINTON, what are you, dumb?” Seems Bill and Hillary are regulars to the area together with a swag load of other celebs. Recently Lady Gaga had a break in Port Douglas and because she wasn’t wearing make up and all the other trappings of her trade, no one recognized her - not even the paparazzi.

The town boasts that it doesn’t have any traffic lights and the closest international fast food joint (McDonalds et al) is some 70 kilometres away in Cairns. All correct, but maybe there should be traffic lights along the main drag – Macrossen Street, where parking is a problem. Perhaps one of the fast food places should open up shop in the area and that might force prices down. One night we paid $18 for a ‘so-so’ medium take away pizza in Macrossen Street, although ice creams across the road seemed to be about average price – just over $5 for 2 scoops in a cone.

One of my pet hates is walking along a footpath and perhaps this complaint can equally be directed to other areas, apart from Port Douglas. Footpaths (sidewalks in ‘the other language’) are designed for pedestrians going BOTH ways. If you happen to be with a group of 4 or more and you’re walking together, please make room for those going in the opposite direction – only common sense, but then again maybe you’re not ‘common,’ well not in your own mind – hope you get the message, now please move over so others can walk without having to weave around you.

Macrossen Street is about 800 metres long and starts at Wharf Street where there are a number of very noisy pubs filled with yelling mobs all intent on out-doing each other in the noise department. Things get a bit quieter heading into the shops and boutiques area. However the only place that seems to be making a buck is the guy who sells the “SALE” signs for shop windows. Seems every shop is feeling the pinch, but I’ll bet the land lords are not helping out.

OK enough of the cynical side of Sir Gaw. We got to Port Douglas via the Bloomfield track and you can read up on that trip Driving through Daintree and area. I stayed with Lady Gaw in Port Douglas for 5 nights, then our younger daughter stayed for 7 nights and kept Lady Gaw occupied. Someone had to go home and look after the pet parrot. We all stayed at the Port Douglas Retreat had 2 great meals at The Tin Shed , a real highlight was great afternoon and evening at the Port Douglas Yacht Club and WAGS. We got ourselves fitter by walking and that included A walk along Millionaires’ Row. We visited Hartley's Crocodile Adventures and easting Mocka’s Pies was a must do. Another day we visited ANZAC Park and St Mary’s by the Sea and the almost deserted Marina Mirage Port Douglas.

I’ll be adding tips on 2 or 3 sites that my wife and daughter completed when I was back in Melbourne bird sitting – so pages are not quite completed.

About the photos:
1. Scene from "The Tin Shed" and looking over the calm waters of Port Douglas estuary with the famous World Heritage listed Daintree National Park in the background.
2. The other side of Port Douglas - 4 mile beach and the foliage hiding nearly all the expensive real estate.
3. Part of the main drag - Macrossen Street (which I unkindly to some nick-named Macvomit Street) Full of expensive shops and restaurants with the constant stream of pedestrian plastic people wandering past.

• Pros:Beach for those who like beaches
  • Cons:Those outside Australia may not understand, but too many of my fellow Victorians!!
  • In a nutshell:Too many plastic people!!!
  • Last visit to Port Douglas: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2011

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Thats exactly what I thought Crocodiles think when they see humans....lol! A very fun page!

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I agree with your honest opinion about PD.Did you know a swimming lagoon is being built right next to St Mary's.The car parking will be even worse.
    The tin shed is great and so is the boat club,glad you enjoyed them.
    $3.something million for a property in PD is just plain greed imho.
    It was good reading your page on the Port,thanks.

sirgaw

“"How can I have a favourite place when I haven't seen them all?"”

Badges & Stats in Port Douglas

Have you been to Port Douglas?

Latest Activity in Port Douglas