"Charming Les Baux-de-Provence" Les Baux-de-Provence by sirgaw

Les Baux-de-Provence Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 155 photos

We stayed in nearby Avignon (see separate pages) and enjoyed the history of that amazing part of France. We wanted to do a trip to the "Le Pont du Gard," the Roman aqueduct still standing some 2,000 years after construction and found a bus tour company that included a trip to the aqueduct and the town of Les Baux-de-Provence. Until then we hadn't heard of the town, but decided to "go along for the ride" and discover another fascinating part of Provence, however we were promised a visit to one of the most photographed towns in France

Our tour bus seated 40 or so passengers, but somehow we lucked in on a quiet day when there was only 11 tourists - including a couple from our home state of Victoria, Australia.

The coach travelled across a plain and then the hillside fortified town of Les Baux came into view and then we understood the strategic importance of the siting of town - a commanding place overlooking the valley and therefore easy to defend from the hoards.

The coach crawled up the steep incline until we reached the car park, where we all got off and walked a hundred metres or so through a car park to the towns imposing entrance. Someone quipped, "I thought this was a bus tour, so how come we are walking." What commanded our attention at first was not the town, but rather a historic Bugatti Roadster . An English member of our small tour party said, "Forget the town, THAT is more important." Obviously he was in car buff heaven at the sight of such a rare beast of the open road.

We entered the town and immediately my wife Sandra wanted to hit the shops - me I'm more interested in historic buildings and streetscapes. We agreed to split up for the time allowed in Les Baux. Obviously the shops were going to benefit from her visit, while I set about exploring the town.

Many of the towns and cities we visited in Provence, the gift shops all had a local speciality - movement detecting cicadas and I just had to buy one (see tip attached to my Avignon page), so maybe the shops benefited from both our visits. I had almost run out of cigarettes and went into a shop to ask where I could purchase more to feed the bad habit. The woman shopkeeper explained that the sale of tobacco in the town is forbidden, however shortly afterwards I was walking along a narrow street and spotted a crepiery which also sold cold drinks. I stood and waited behind another customer and shortly afterwards the young woman from the shop passed a packet of cigarettes to the other customer. Somehow I had lucked in on finding the black market for cigarettes in the forbidden-to-sell-smokes town. The young woman was more than happy to sell me a can of cold drink AND a packet of the you-know-whats.

While I drank the can and lit up a smoke, I sat on a low wall and watched the passing parade of tourists. I happened to notice an odd menu item on the list of crepes available - "Fanny Crepe" - and burst out laughing. I am well-aware of the colloquialism in US English - a "fanny" is the rear quarters, however "fanny" is slang in Australia for female genitalia and I just could not resist taking a photo. I invited the young woman to pose, but sadly she declined - maybe it was the forbidden fruit contained within a flip top box that caused her shyness from the camera.

I later discussed my crepe findings with an English couple who confirmed that the term fanny has identical meaning to Australians. The young French woman tour guide was still pondering the English language as we left.

After that brief escapade into the dark underworld of forbidden cigarettes and mysterious crepes, back to the wanderings of the little town. Photo opportunities at every turn and then I got to the entrance to the old castle where, if I'd had time, I could have watched in awe as a re-creation of medieval war machines were put through their paces. Instead I had to retrace my steps back to the town entrance as it was almost time for our bus to depart.

Not being content with my earlier cigarette experience, I stopped at a stall selling hand made soap. Any passing woman was offered a wash using their soap, however an Australian wearing an Aussie bush hat seemed beneath the clean experience. Instead I got into an argument with a miniature white French poodle, who should have picked on someone smelling a bit better rather than this Pepe la Phew.

A last look at the town, a few more photo opportunities and time to head back to the bus to see what other adventures we could muster up for the day.

I would recommend a visit to spectacular Les Baux-de-Provence and there are 2 web sites worth visiting:

See also my photo page on Les Baux-de-Provence.

• Last visit to Les Baux-de-Provence: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2008

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM

And the address for the black market ciggies shop is????

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Good story - reminded me of our first Euro trip with a few Americanos, Aussies and Kiwi's and and after 8 hours on the bus an American girl yelled out "my fanny hurts" to the howling delight of the A's and K's. Karl

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 3:56 AM

My goodness...Fancy that!...a place where durries are banned!!....but sells fanny crepes haha :o) What an experience! Enjoyed the story and pix David!! Cheers, Ann :o)

sirgaw

“"How can I have a favourite place when I haven't seen them all?"”

Badges & Stats in Les Baux-de-Provence

Have you been to Les Baux-de-Provence?

Latest Activity in Les Baux-de-Provence