"Lago de Yojoa, Cavernas de Tablabe" Lago de Yojoa by RoqueMocan

Lago de Yojoa Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 40 photos

Supposedly we were to reach San Pedro Sula...

Because of my work, I had been visiting Tegucigalpa in Honduras fairly often (to promote Microsoft tools for programmers)... I wanted to visit San Pedro Sula (haven't been there yet), as everybody tells me it is a very nice place, some preferring it over the capital Tegucigalpa. So I rented a car and invited Tania of El Salvador, who is working at the office in Tegucigalpa, to come with me... Tania is such an expansive spirit, with a hearty laugh! We embarked to San Pedro Sula driving the glorius blacktop - I like to drive! It seems that I was not alone with this pleasure, as we met a large contingent of BMW motorcycles coming from El Salvador, on a World convention of motorcyclists ... On the way, we went to see the colonial city of Comayagua (you'll find the oldest WORKING church clock of the Americas here). Comayagua was the capital of Honduras, but it seems that the wife of an earlier Honduras President was shunned by the elite social establishment of Comayagua, and so decided to leave for Tegucigalpa, making it the new capital ... Well, that's the story that I heard... Then, we continued till the Lago de Yojoa lake, and stopped to lunch. The restaurants on the border of the lake are modest, but we chose a relatively cosmopolitan styled place (seems that this restaurant has a sibling in Tegucigalpa, a place popular with students). We ate fish, I think, and then it was kind of late... and so decided to abandon our plan to reach San Pedro Sula and headed back to Tegucigalpa... On the way back, we stopped at the Tablabe caverns, which has stalactites and stalagmites - and I hadn't seen those in my life ... so we stopped and hired a young guy as a guide... (seems these caverns were found when the Israelies built the road from Tegucigalpa to San Pedro Sula. The movements from the machinery, or possibly dynamite explosions, exposed the caverns). We entered the cavern and the young guy went on naming the the different formations: that is an angel (because it looked like an angel's wing), etc. and went to the farthest point for us normal tourists... and turned back. We were animatedly chatting and laughing about some ocurrence ... and then ... from a great distance towards the entrance of the cavern... we faintly heard someone shouting: Taaaniaaa, Taaaniaa... Odd, very odd ... So we continued going out, and then, near the entrance of the cavern, we met a photographer and his assistant. They were there to photograph the cave for a tourism brochure or something. Turns out the photographer knew Tania from some Microsoft events, and he heard the CHARACTERISTIC laugh of Tania from such a great distance and recognized her! Well, you HAVE to hear Tania's laugh and you'll agree that it is unique!

• Last visit to Lago de Yojoa: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2006

Comments

RoqueMocan

“Enjoy!”

Badges & Stats in Lago de Yojoa

Have you been to Lago de Yojoa?

Latest Activity in Lago de Yojoa