"Visiting this impoverished, intriguing Country" Port-au-Prince by RoqueMocan
Port-au-Prince Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 156 photos
Haiti is an impoverished and intriguing country. I have done two trips here (1 week each) for work, installing a Customer Relationship Management program. Haiti reminds me of my home country, El Salvador, after the civil war: lots of UNO 4x4s, trucks and armored carriers... (Other parallels: Haiti 8 million inhabitants vs 6 million in El Salvador, Haiti 27,000 square kilometers vs 20,000 in El Salvador, both historically Coffee producers, both with sizable populations living in the USA). I wasn't able to get to know the country, as I was escorted in bulletproof cars from the office to the hotel (Villa Creole in Petion Ville), so the photos I will post are from behind the bullet proof plate glass of a fast moving 4x4... blurred and out of focus... Haiti was once the richest colony of the Americas, and now is the poorest... next door is Republica Dominicana, with a booming tourism industry. I found well educated Haitians, some of them spoke my native spanish far, far better than I could speak their french. So I think the potential is there to get better.
You find them everywhere, on 4x4s, trucks and armored carriers... I saw mostly Uruguayan and Chilean (I think, judging from their shoulder patches) even though the primary country is Brasil (I think). My country, El Salvador, will send people here as they have some experience in post-conflict institution buildings (police, etc.).
Tap Tap are the pick ups with the raised bed covers, painted in bright colours. I wasn't able to photograph some very barroquely decorated tap taps or vans, you had to see them!
- Cons:Most people don't want to come here
- In a nutshell:Unexploited, with untapped potential to be better
This is a middle eastern bar/restaurant where you can snack on yummy middle-eastern fare, or have a drink and look at... more travel advice
RoqueMocan's Related Pages
Port-au-Prince Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haiti - a never ending tragedy"
- "Port-au-Prince, Capitol of Haiti"
- "Living There"
- "Some people I met during my volunteer trip"
- "Port au Prince Haiti"
- "Republik d'Ayiti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port-au-Prince
- Hotels in Port-au-Prince
- Transportation in Port-au-Prince
- Nightlife in Port-au-Prince
- Restaurants in Port-au-Prince
- Shopping in Port-au-Prince
- Warnings and Dangers in Port-au-Prince
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port-au-Prince
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Port-au-Prince?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port-au-Prince
- Posted in Travel San Salvador Forum "Price of Chicken Buses to Santa Ana"
- Wrote a Review In-place, cosmopolitan international crowd in Port-au-Prince Nightlife
- updated a Port-au-Prince Travel Page "Visiting this impoverished, intriguing Country"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visiting this impoverished, intriguing Country"
Photos in Port-au-PrinceSee All Photos (10)
Top 5 Pages
- San Salvador Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Port-au-Prince Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Departamento de La Libertad Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Lago de Yojoa Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.
Latest Port-au-Prince hotel reviews
- Kaliko Beach Club
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Ideal Villa Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 2, 2012
- Hotel Oloffson
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Le Plaza Haiti Port-au-prince
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- I.B.O. Beach Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Oct 14, 2003
- Hotel Habitation Hatt
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Ibo Lele
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2013
- Visa Lodge
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Montana
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Karibe Hotel
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013