"Liberia" Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia by travelintraina
Liberia Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 93 photos
Liberia is a small, quiet town along the interamericana that is much bigger in its importance for transportation in Costa Rica. As the capital of the Guanacaste, most buses stop here and it's easy to get a transfer to San Jose, Puntarenas, the Nicoya Peninsula, or as a stopover on the way to or ffrom Nicaragua. There is also an airport nearby if you prefer that method.
While there isn't a whole lot going on in the town itself, it provides welcome relief from the crowds in San Jose and the tourists at the Nicoya Peninsula. It's a place to relax, have a beer and a meal at a restaurant along the plaza, and just people watch for as long as you want.
The region of Guanacaste is dry and hot compared to the cloud forests of Monteverde and the tropical beaches of the Nicoya and Caribbean coastline. The area has a history of ranching, and this is seen in their pride of the sabaneros, essentially the Costa Rican cowboys. Look for the monument southwest of the parque central, and duck into any number of local shops to see their skill at crafting saddles, boots, belts, and other essential cowboy items.
- Pros:Tranquil, great equestrian products, plenty of options nearby
- Cons:Not a lot of nightlife or entertainment in the city itself.
The local government in Liberia has protected several of its historical houses and buildings. You can recognize these by... more travel advice
travelintraina's Related Pages
Liberia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Province of Guanacaste"
- "Pura Vida!"
- "Liberia's People"
- "Liberia - Passing Through"
- "JUST PASSING THROUGH"
- "Beware the rental car companies"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liberia
- Hotels in Liberia
- Transportation in Liberia
- Nightlife in Liberia
- Restaurants in Liberia
- Shopping in Liberia
- Warnings and Dangers in Liberia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liberia
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Liberia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liberia
Top 10 Pages
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Salerno Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Montezuma Intro, 4 reviews
- Cusco Intro, 3 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Santa Teresa 1 review, 2 photos
- Lago de Nicaragua Intro, 3 photos
- Departamento de León 1 review, 1 photo
- California 1 review