"When I was a boy..." Campinas by hugolorenzetti
Campinas Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 72 photos
You know those films in which the main character is from a country town, and all he does is to manage to get out and experience the world and never go back? What they never tell is how much you miss your hometown after you leave it, no matter how much you cursed it, hated it. Well, that's where your memories are, where you folks remained, where life used to be simple, and where we used to take pleasure from the smallest things.
Campinas is not every toristy, but it is a really beautiful city. You are likely to land here only as a journey break or if you came tostudy at the excellent (not only because I graduated in Literature there) Universidade Estadual de Campinas, known as Unicamp.
Campinas is big, with over a million inhabitants, but still, since it's too close to São Paulo - at least that's my theory - it doesn't get the same chance to be a thriving cultural centre, nor has it the complete metropolitan charm. That said, the city is a major high technology industrial area, with great centres of research on many important matters and provides very good levels of life to its inhabitants.
The city centre has got its charms, though many of the historical buildings have given place to high rises or parking lots. The neighbourhoods of Cambuí and Guanabara provide shady streets with good commerce and EXCELLENT, REALLY EXCELLENT, restaurants. The former has got the best bar nightlife in the city, and you can easily and safely do some bar hop there.
There's also the neighbourhood of Barão Geraldo, near the campi of Unicamp and of the Catholic University that is quite lively during school period, with good bars and nice strollable streets, as well as the old Casas Grandes, the main house of the old time's farms that used to share the land now occupied by a lot of people.
Since I don't have many pictures of the city, I won't post too much about it. But next time I visit there, I will, since it will be my last time before leaving to Africa for the next 3 years. Then I'll write lots of tips.
- Pros:Good place to live, if you want big money
- Cons:A bit too dull for a city of its size
- In a nutshell:Where all my childhood memories dwell
hugolorenzetti's Related Pages
Campinas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Campinas, São Paulo"
- "Railway Preservation in Campinas"
- "When I was a boy..."
- "CAMPINAS, A SHORT 90 KM FROM SÃO PAULO DISTANCE"
- "The city where I choose to live"
- "Campinas, SP Brasil"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Campinas
- Hotels in Campinas
- Transportation in Campinas
- Nightlife in Campinas
- Restaurants in Campinas
- Shopping in Campinas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Campinas
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Campinas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Campinas
Photos in CampinasSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasília Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Florianópolis 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Omoa Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Luján Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Campinas Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Dangriga Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Estelí Intro, 1 review, 1 photo