"Ride the Rails" Hill City by SteveOSF

Hill City Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 19 photos

Hill City

Hill City is in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It is not far from Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, and the Crazy Horse Monument. Hill City is the base for the 1880 Train. We arrived at Hill City via this historic railroad.

• In a nutshell: Home of a scenic, historic railway.
  • Last visit to Hill City: Sep 2007
  • Intro Written Oct 22, 2007

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2011 at 4:44 AM

In fact would love to immersed myself in the rugged beauty of the Black Hills of South Dakota! Aboard a vintage steam train, like those that helped settle the Great American West! Enjoyed page & link! Thanks! Also, Happy Birthday!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

We did the train ride and enjoyed it a lot! Lots of wonderful history that runs through here. The folks were so delightful! Nice page!

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 2:14 PM

The Black Hills & Mt. Rushmore are two sights I'd like to visit in So. Dakota if I ever get to go in the future. Thanks for stopping by my pages. Hope all's well. -Marissa-

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 5:34 PM

The train ride sounds like it would be interesting! Thanks for the helpful information.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM

I enjoyed this area during my lone visit to SD back in 1998. We loved all of the wildlife in the Black Hills.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Steve, Very good tips & photos. I was born in So. Dakota. My Dad was transferred when I just 6 weeks old. So, my memories are of later trips back. The Black Hills & So. Dakota are a very special place. Thanks for your comments-my Warner Robins pages. Doug

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 11:19 PM

nice to see that old steamtrain !

SteveOSF

“Just beyond the edge of the world is a new horizon.”

Badges & Stats in Hill City

Have you been to Hill City?

Latest Activity in Hill City