"Where the Spruce Goose Nests" Top 5 Page for this destination McMinnville by SteveOSF

McMinnville Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 96 photos

Small Town, Big Plane

On a road trip to Portland, we took a brief detour to McMinnville, Oregon. Although it is situated in the heart of the Willamette Valley wine country, we came to see historic airplanes. One plane in particular was of interest, Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose." This piece of history has found its way to this small Oregon town. It resides within the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum along with many other interesting aircraft. After visiting the museum, we were short on time and had to forego wine tasting. But the aviation museum was well worth the visit and wine tasting in the Willamette Valley will have to wait for another day.

• Pros:Home of a great aviation museum.
  • Cons:A very small town.
  • In a nutshell:Small town with an excellent aviation museum.
  • Last visit to McMinnville: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2007

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Wow, what an amazing aircraft museum for such a small town! The Spruce Goose and an SR-71 under one roof! Thanks for the excellent photos and tour. Those old Avengers were being used for water-bombing New Brunswick's forests up until just a few years ago!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Very interesting tip also on historic military vehicles, old tanks and armored reconnaissance vehicles! - Thank you for leaving me a birthday note.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Great aviation museum! So many moons ago, I got to see the Spruce Goose when it was in Long Beach. They use to let you look in it. Glad I got too. Nice page!

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Wow! I've picked up in McMinnville, so I guess I blew an opportunity to see a great aviation museum. I agree with Maria--General Tips are really well researched and written...alan

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Steve, GREAT McMinnville tips! Good to know you're into aviation. I knew that the Spruce Goose was in So. Cal. (Long Bch) before because I had seen it years ago. Started to question myself there for a minute since I never knew it was relocated to Oregon.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 7:02 AM

The General Tips are truly impressive, providing so much history-information! Wish I had visit in McMinnville when I was in OR. Great shot of Corsair's front.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 7:39 AM

A very nice museum indeed and there is some very nice wine to be found on your next trip around here, as well.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 5:23 PM

So the Spruce Goose ended up in McMinnville? Who'd'a thunk it!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Great tips on the various aircraft displays!

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Steve: Superb tips, photos & text. The museum is just as impressive with glossy white spotless floors, floor 2 ceiling windows-gr8 light & incredibly restored historically important aircraft. Who would have thought this in a small Oregon town! Doug

SteveOSF

“Just beyond the edge of the world is a new horizon.”

Badges & Stats in McMinnville

Have you been to McMinnville?

Latest Activity in McMinnville