"Home of Hearst Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination San Simeon by SteveOSF
San Simeon Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 331 photos
Hearst Castle is the estate of the late publisher William Randolph Hearst. This lavish structure is filled with priceless artwork and antiques. It has a lot to offer from architecture, art, and historical perspectives. The castle was in perpetual construction and change during the years Mr. Hearst occupied the mansion. Grand parties were hosted there by Mr. Hearst and Miss Marion Davies. It has spectacular pools, tennis courts, a movie theater, and countless guestrooms.
Historic Hearst Castle is the main reason many visit San Simeon. Hearst Castle is the estate of the late publisher William Randolph Hearst. Mr. Hearst lived there with actress Marion Davies. The castle was in perpetual construction and renovation during Mr. Hearst's time. Its interior is decorated with priceless art and antique building elements. In the castle, the who's who of entertainment and business were treated to extravagant parties.
The spectacular indoor Roman Pool can be seen during a tour at Heart Castle. After Mr. Hearst's death, the family donated the castle to the state. The castle is now under the care of the California State Park Service and is designated as a State Historical Monument.
San Simeon enjoys a spectacular coastline and some nice beaches. Its nearest neighbor is Cambia, also on the coast.
- Pros:Hearst Castle is there!
- In a nutshell:Small town on the coast with a big castle.
Situated along the California coast, San Simeon enjoys beach access to the Pacific Ocean. Take a walk or just breathe... more travel advice
Hearst Castle easily stands out as my favorite thing in San Simeon. The reflecting Roman Pool was spectacular. Although... more travel advice
SteveOSF's Related Pages
San Simeon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hearst Castle in San Simeon"
- "Home of Hearst Castle"
- "San Simeon-Hearst Castle and Elephant Seals"
- "The Magnificent Hearst Castle"
- "San Simeon - Pacific Coast Hwy 1 Drive"
- "More than the Hearst Castle in San Simeon"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 4 San Simeon & Hearst Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Simeon
- Hotels in San Simeon
- Transportation in San Simeon
- Nightlife in San Simeon
- Restaurants in San Simeon
- Shopping in San Simeon
- Warnings and Dangers in San Simeon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Simeon
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to San Simeon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Simeon
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 71 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Seattle Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lee Vining Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McMinnville Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue