"Save Mono Lake!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lee Vining by SteveOSF
Lee Vining Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 312 photos
Lee Vining clings to Highway 395 on the edge of Mono Lake. This small town is located at a high elevation of 6780 feet. Staying at Lee Vining is your best bet for seeing Mono Lake or visiting the nearby ghost town of Bodie. Lee Vining offers lodging, restaurants, gasoline and other services. It makes a great base camp for visiting the nearby attractions.
Some of you may remember the slogan “Save Mono Lake”. In 1941, water began being diverted from Mono Lake’s tributaries to squelch the growing thirst of the Los Angeles area to the south. The culprit was the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. Ecological havoc raked upon Mono Lake as a result of drastically lowered the water levels. By being deprived of its freshwater sources, the volume of Mono Lake was cut in halve, while its salinity doubled.
In the late 1970s activists began to organize and lobby lawmakers, policy makers, and the public at large. The message was heard and compromises introduced. Eventually in the late 1990s the water diversions were reduced and Mono Lake could begin the slow process of recovery. However, before the reduction in diversion occurred, the water level in the lake had already dropped 40 feet!
Because water will continue to be diverted to Los Angeles, Mono Lake will never be completely restored. The lake will always be at least 25 feet or more lower than its pre-diversion level. But the lake and its ecosystem have been granted a reprieve from certain tragic death.
- Pros:Very scenic area
- Cons:It is a bit out of the way
- In a nutshell:On the shore of a beautiful lake
This is a historic lodge located just across Highway 395 from Mono Lake, and is just outside of Lee Vining. It has a... more travel advice
When arriving from the east along Highway 120, stunning views can be seen. Beautiful mountain scenery can be enjoyed... more travel advice
SteveOSF's Related Pages
Lee Vining Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Lee Vining ~"
- "Save Mono Lake!"
- "Mono Lake, a recovering endangered ecosystem!"
- "Mono Lake"
- "Base Camp for Eastern Yosemite and Mono Lake"
- "Lee Vining, California."
- "Mono Lake (near the town of Lee Vining)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lee Vining
- Hotels in Lee Vining
- Transportation in Lee Vining
- Restaurants in Lee Vining
- Shopping in Lee Vining
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lee Vining
- 17 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Lee Vining?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lee Vining
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 71 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Seattle Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lee Vining Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McMinnville Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue