"On the Banks of the Russian River" Top 5 Page for this destination Guerneville by SteveOSF
Guerneville Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 92 photos
Guerneville rests upon the banks of the Russian River on land that was once densely covered by giant redwoods. Before logging interests led to the establishment of Guerneville, Pomo Indians maintained an encampment at the site of the future town. They called it Ceola, which meant shady place.
From the mid 1800’s, logging dominated the area. The Pomo Indians were displaced and the great old growth forests were cut down to satisfy San Francisco’s (and other cities’) growing hunger for timber. So many trees were cut down that the town was first known as Stumptown. The town was later named after George Guerne, a prominent local businessman. George Guerne owned a lumber mill that stood at the site of the present day Safeway grocery store.
As the area’s logging became depleted around the end of the 19th Century, tourism began to emerge in the area. This was made possible by railroad service to Guerneville. Eventually tourism became Guerneville’s primary industry. Highways eventually replaced the railway as the main means of transportation to town.
Today the Guerneville area seems to have more permanent residences than summer cottages. Although still a vacation spot, many people commute into Santa Rosa and other North Bay towns. Guerneville has gone through phases of growth, decline, and renewal during the later part of the 20th Century. Today, Guerneville not only remains a nice spot for a getaway, but it prides itself on its culturally diverse population.
- Pros:The river, redwoods, and nice weather.
- Cons:Not quite the vacation destination it was in the 1960s.
- In a nutshell:A nice place for a getaway.
The Russian River does occasionally flood. Summer visitors should not worry about flooding as the floods occur only... more travel advice
The Russian River valley is a great place for wine tasting. However, Korbel offers champagne tasting. Established in... more travel advice
SteveOSF's Related Pages
Guerneville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Northern California River Retreat"
- "Tall Wonders--The Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve"
- "On the Banks of the Russian River"
- "The Heart of Russian River"
- "Russian River Hijinks"
- "Giant Redwood Trees at Guerneville California"
- "Russian River intoxication"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guerneville
- Hotels in Guerneville
- Transportation in Guerneville
- Nightlife in Guerneville
- Restaurants in Guerneville
- Shopping in Guerneville
- Warnings and Dangers in Guerneville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guerneville
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Guerneville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guerneville
Photos in GuernevilleSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 71 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Seattle Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lee Vining Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McMinnville Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue