"Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex" Top 5 Page for this destination Essen by BillNJ
Essen Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 783 photos
Historically, the city of Essen is best known as an important coal and steel center in the Ruhr area led by the Krupp family. Today, it is a city with approximately 580,000 residents which makes it the 7th- or 8th-largest city in Germany. Also, the economy is more diverse now than in earlier years when it was dominated by Krupp. Today, Essen is home to 13 of the 100 largest German corporations and seat to several of the region's authorities.
Essen has a large center city pedestrian zone with many shops, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, churches, theaters, town squares, and other attractions. On the day of my visit, VTer Daniela (mickybleck), a native of Essen, was kind enough to give me a tour of the downtown pedestrian zone. It is a pleasure to take a stroll in a city center without having to be concerned about automobile traffic. During our stroll, we made a brief stop in the Münster Essen (Essen Cathedral) which has a treasury consisting of many important church relics, including the Golden Madonna dating back to the year 980 A.D.
The EU Commission has named Essen as a European Capital of Culture for 2010. Essen applied on behalf of the entire Ruhr region. Hopefully, this designation helps to draw more tourists to this wonderful city.
- Pros:Center city pedestrian zone, innovative parks of old industrial sites
- Cons:Limited organized tourism for non-German speakers
- In a nutshell:Industrial and business city with a lot to offer!
On the day of my visit, there was a marathon race through the city of Essen. As a result, the city closed many roads.... more travel advice
In the Essen pedestrian zone, there is a square named after Cardinal Franz Hengsbach who became the Bishop of Essen in... more travel advice
BillNJ's Related Pages
Essen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Essen, Cultural Capital 2010"
- "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- "Essentially Essen"
- "ESSEN KULINARISCH"
- "Welcome to Essen"
- "Industrial Beauty and green areas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essen
- Hotels in Essen
- Transportation in Essen
- Nightlife in Essen
- Restaurants in Essen
- Warnings and Dangers in Essen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essen
- 15 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Essen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essen
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Vienna Accommodation"
- Commented on one of yumyum's Essen travel pages
- updated a Essen Travel Page "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- Wrote a Review Named European Capital of Culture for 2010 in Essen Favorites
Photos in EssenSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
Latest Essen hotel reviews
- Hotel Bredeney
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Hotel Korn
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Mintrops Stadt Hotel Margarethenhohe
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Mercure Plaza Essen Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Ibis Essen
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Lindenhof
- 1 Review & Opinion