County Donegal Hotel Tips by BillNJ Top 5 Page for this destination
County Donegal Hotels: 23 reviews and 29 photos
In Downings, I stayed at a residential centre named An Teach Bán. In the Irish language, it means the white house -- and the pronunciation sounds like "an chah bwan". The centre was founded in 1985, and it was created as a place for refuge during the Troubles. Today, it is subsidized by the European Union and the governments of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
I stayed at the centre as part of a workshop, and the total cost for lodging and meals during my 6 day/5 night stay was only 125 Euros! The cost is so low because of the subsidies. I was fortunate to have my own bedroom (with a private en suite bathroom), but most of the other rooms appear to have been double and triple occupancy. The meals were served family-style in the dining room -- and they were excellent! The centre also includes a large recreation room, a large room for workshops/meetings, and a large rooftop patio.
I really enjoyed my stay at An Teach Bán -- it is a special place. If you have an opportunity to stay here, I highly recommend it. Since the centre is the site of many workshops and programs -- there are probably restrictions on when you can stay. Below, I have included the link to a website with a contact number for the centre if you want more information.
Unique Qualities: Subsidized residential centre dedicated to peace.
Meals included -- they are home-style and delicious!
Tea and biscuits are available in the kitchen at all times -- day or night.
Within walking distance of the beach and everything else in the village of Downings.
Comparison: less expensive than average
After my workshop concluded in Downings, I stayed one night at Gallaghers Hotel in Letterkenny. The reason that I chose this hotel was that it is located within short walking distance from the Letterkenny bus station -- from which I took a bus to Galway City.
I booked my room in advance through a website named booking.com -- and everything went smoothly. The cost for my 1-night stay was 65 Euros. The reception desk at the hotel was very pleasant at both check-in and check-out.
My room was very spacious and well-furnished. I ate dinner at the pub in the hotel -- and it was pretty good. Breakfast was included in the rate -- and they served a full Irish breakfast. The quantity of the breakfast was ample, but I would only rank the quality as average.
My stay was on a Wednesday night. As it turns out, Wednesday is a big night at the Milan Nightclub that is adjacent to the hotel. Since I could faintly hear the music from my room on the second floor (it wasn't too bad), I decided to venture over and take a look. It's a large, multi-story nightclub that is geared toward a young crowd. The cover charge was 5 Euros -- and most drinks were 3 Euros. There didn't appear to be a dress code.
Overall, I was satisfied with my 1-night stay at Gallaghers Hotel. It's a nice modern hotel, and it served my purposes.
Unique Qualities: Located in the heart of Letterkenny's city centre -- within short walking distance to the bus station.
Full Irish breakfast included in the rate.
Within the hotel complex, there is a restaurant, pub, and nightclub.
Address: 100 Main Street, Letterkenny
Comparison: about average
Directions: City centre
More Reviews (16)
- See All "Dear Old Donegal" Song
- See All Convenience store and gift shop in...
- Bus Eireann Travel Centre in Letterkenny
- See All Links Golf at Rosapenna
BillNJ's Related Pages
County Donegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dear Old Donegal"
- "Co. Donegal...One of my Favorite Places in Ireland"
- "Sunshine in Donegal"
- "County Donegal beauty"
- "Donegal - A rugged beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Donegal
- Hotels in County Donegal
- Transportation in County Donegal
- Nightlife in County Donegal
- Restaurants in County Donegal
- Shopping in County Donegal
- Warnings and Dangers in County Donegal
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hyatt Regency Monterey
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport
- H Top Calella Palace Hotel
- Nana Hotel
- Alpine Mountain Chalets
- Country Comfort Hovell Tree Inn
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beaufort
- Kiawah Island Golf Resort
- Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
- Gwesty'r Webley
- Travelodge Docklands
- Taj Mount Road
- Tune Hotels. com Downtown Penang
- Inturotel Sa Marina & Es Sivinar
Badges & Stats in County Donegal
- 18 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to County Donegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Donegal
Photos in County DonegalSee All Photos (39)
Read real reviews about County Donegal Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
Top County Donegal hotels
- Falcarragh Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Donegal Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Bundoran Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Letterkenny Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Ballybofey Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Dunfanaghy Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Creeslough Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Glenveagh National Park Hotels
- 1 Review - 6 Photos
- Derrybeg Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Buncrana Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 74 Photos
- Moville Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Portnoo Hotels
- 1 Review
- Kilcar Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos
- Dunlewy Hotels
- 1 Review - 13 Photos
- Ballyshannon Hotels
- See nearby hotels