"Dear Old Donegal" Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal by BillNJ
County Donegal Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 769 photos
County Donegal, located in the northwest of Ireland, was historically part of the Province of Ulster which is composed of nine counties in the north. However, since the partition of Ireland in the early 1920s, County Donegal has been part of the Republic of Ireland. As a result, it is a unique place with ties to both the north and the south.
The terrain of much of County Donegal is rugged and mountainous. Another important feature is the large coastline with the Atlantic Ocean. It is a strikingly beautiful place. However, I wouldn't describe its beauty as sunny and picture perfect. Rather, it is a raw, stark beauty that is awe-inspiring and powerful.
I spent six days and five nights in the charming village of Downings on the Rosguill peninsula in the north central of County Donegal. In the summer, Downings is a popular resort community. My visit was in November; therefore, I was there during the much quieter off-season.
- Pros:Raw Beauty; Peaceful and Idyllic; Friendly People
- Cons:Unpredictable Weather; Narrow Roads
- In a nutshell:The raw beauty of idyllic County Donegal will captivate you!
"Dear Old Donegal" is an Irish song written by Steve Graham in 1942, and its best known singer was Bing Crosby of the... more travel advice
Donegal tweed is famous for its warmth and durability. The tweed is woven from wool and used to make caps, jackets,... more travel advice
- See All Links Golf at Rosapenna
- Late-Night Chip Stand
- See All Large Nightclub in the Letterkenny City...
BillNJ's Related Pages
County Donegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dear Old Donegal"
- "Co. Donegal...One of my Favorite Places in Ireland"
- "Sunshine in Donegal"
- "County Donegal beauty"
- "Donegal - A rugged beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Donegal
- Hotels in County Donegal
- Transportation in County Donegal
- Nightlife in County Donegal
- Restaurants in County Donegal
- Shopping in County Donegal
- Warnings and Dangers in County Donegal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Donegal
- 18 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to County Donegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Donegal
Photos in County DonegalSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 59 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aachen Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 24 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Dublin Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos